Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: 8310 powers off randomly

Hi Wajjie and welcome to the forums,

Is your carrier Verizon?

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

My Device: Not Specified

My blackberry curve does the same thing, but only when I'm on a phone call. I have had my phone for only six months with AT&T/Cingular, and it's been happening more and more frequently. It will just turn off at the beginning of phone calls, the middle, or up to 15 minutes into a conversation - no rhyme or reason to it. The hour glass will come on, and it will take anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes for the phone to actually restart. It seems to be worse in hot weather (80+ degrees, outside). There are no passwords or shut off settings activated. I have left the battery out, but the problem proceeded. I recently did a Master Reset, and this actually made the problem wose and now it happens everyday, almost every other phone call. I really like this phone otherwise, if only it would work! Help!?
Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310

Re: Re: 8310 powers off randomly

[ Edited ]

Hello. I am new to the BB world and have the same issues. It seems that when I put my Curve in the provided sheath/holster, once in a while, the BB shuts oss and to turn it on, I have to remove the battery to reboot. The red pwr switch has no effect on the unit when it turns itself off. This seems to happen every other night or so. This problem seems only when my phone is in the sheath/holster. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

***Update***  Just got off the phone with AT&T and they said that my device is defective and they are sending one out.  They could not determine if its the unit or the battery, so they are trying the device first.  I should know in about a week.

Message Edited by herceng on 08-29-2008 11:06 PM

I have been having a same problem. My 8300 Curve is new, about three weeks in use but purchased 14 months ago (never used it, sitting on the shelf, anyway). Like everyone else, it shuts itself off and reboot itself, the hourglass comes on screen and spun for a minute, then asks for a PIN. It happens while the internet browser is in use, google map is in use, etc, but the most frequently during the phone call is made. Usually 15 to 30 seconds into conversation, it just shuts off. Every once in a while, the battery needs to be pulled to turn the device back on. Most of the time, it reboots itself. It also happens randomly when its not in use.

I wanted to get a device insurance, so contacted AT&T, they said that the insurance has to be purchased within the first 30 days from the original purchase. But the insurance was never been provided for the smart phone up until recent by AT&T.

After conducting major online research with this matter, the only solution is to replace the device. This problem is not caused by user's negligence, it is a device malfunction. No software updates or OS updates will fix this problem according to web posting. Therefore, I have contacted AT&T and Blackberry RIM.

AT&T replied that the device is more than one year old that the warranty has expired, and suggested me to contact BB RIM. So I did. BB RIM rep replied that the warranty repair has to go through AT&T. But they were more than happy to repair the device for nearly $200. I have told BB RIM rep that there were many customers experiencing the same 'shut off - reboot' problems, the rep said that it has not made it to their 'recall list' that they would not be able to exchange it even it was a device malfunction. A major problem is that the most of people get their device exchanged when the problem occurs so BB RIM would not list it as a recalled device, but I let my curve sit for a year (since my 8700 was working fine until recent) that even it is a device malfunction, they would not repair it for exchange it for free.

Not that I don't want to spend money, I just do not want to waste it. The device is a malfunctioning piece not caused by human negligence. 

Do anyone have a solution to this matter? Has anyone gotten exchange their device after the warranty period was over?

psc

I just had exactly the same problem. It suddenly happened out of nowhere, I have had this phone about 15 months now (prob since June 2007) and suddenly, just since September 1st, my phone started turning off by itself. Sometimes I'd be able to just continue what I was doing after about 10 seconds, but most of the time it'd take about a minute or two to reboot, with the hourglass. My IT department kindly tried to do a device wipe and reboot, but I encountered a lot of problems with htat as the pphone would just turn off by itself during the process, which I'm sure didn't help much. This has been very frustrating now that the phone is out of warranty.... but if I learn any more will post back on the board.  

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to everybody,

I have seen these problems with various vendors, mostly with Verizon. Unfortunately here at the forums we do not have a fix, or any information about patches nor input to any carriers.

These threads take on a life of their  own, and I understand the frustration. However your words and stories are better served in a letter to your carrier or local rep.. Most of what is contained is frustration with no solutions, and in some cases dangerous fixes that could damage your device. The rest consists of rumor and mixed bits of info from different carriers, none of which have answer.

KW, as the originator of the post I ask you please to resolve this post, and let us work toward more productive goals

Thanks,

Bifocals

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-05-2008 11:25 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: 8320 Curve

I think this post is a VERY REASONABLE matter. More and more of us are having this problem and RIM should be finding the solution. Its funny how all these Curves are having problems after the warranty is up. They have a lot of people very frustrated with this matter. Bifocals- If your phone was acting like this maybe you would understand. Well some people have money to throw around, others rely on their BlackBery's to get the job done. And need this ironed out now, not later.

New Contributor

I was having the same problem with my 8310 and even posted here earlier to ask for help and got none. My unit was a little over a month old. I then called my provider, Rogers in Canada, and we upgraded to 4.5 and have not had the problem since. This has been over a 1.5 weeks. So far, so good.
New Contributor

hello wajie i have had the same exact problem where my 8320 curve powers off in mid call or after a photo attempt playing a music file . the battery read full at all times of the issue so i did not question it  . long story short i installed a new battery after spending 3 weeks trying to talk to bb support and t-mobile i wipped my phone out compleatly 3 times and re installed 4.5 . for 2 days now  i have had no problems with my phone. my guess is try a new battery it worked for me . 

Hi everyone. Trying to figure out why my 8320 keeps powering off randomly? It happens in the middle of a call at approximately the same time every day. It has been happening for about three days. The phone is about a year old.

I went to T-Mobile and got the old "pull the battery out" response. It works for about 12 hours and then it starts again. The auto shut off is disabled. Anyone have any suggestions.  Thanks for any help that you can provide.