Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8320
My Carrier: T-Mobile

8320 want wifi...no data

Hello all,

I have just completed a fairly thorough search on the internet and have followed a number of suggested remedies, but I have not been able to solve my problem.

I recently acquired an 8320 and would like to use WIFI, but I am not willing to purchase a data plan.  In my search, I have come across people who say they are able to do this, but most threads have been a few years old.

I have T-Mobile service and a working network at home to test out the Blackberry's wifi capability.

Can I use wifi without a data plan on this device?

Thank you.

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 8320 want wifi...no data

Yes, for the internet browser only and a few other third party apps (not many).

No email, no BBM, no BBMaps, not a lot.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

I am OK with having limited capability, but at this point, the phone sends an error message when I try to connect to my own network.  The phone does recognize the network and I was able to enter my security code, but, again, I get an error message as it tries to connect.

I spoke with someone at work who suggested that the phone is old and may not have the correct "certification?"  He said that I should try disabling all security settings on my router at home and then attempt to connect to the network with my phone.  Once connected, he said I should go online to see if the phone is in need of any updates.  If so, I should download and update.

Do you have any thoughts about why I can't connect to my wifi at home?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Yea, sure, make your router (or drop by a McDonalds or an open non-password Hotspot) and try to get online.

On your Blackberry, go to Options > Advanced > Browser and set the browser default to HOTSPOT and SAVE.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks.

I don't have an option for Hotspot...only WIFI Browser.  I switched from T-Zones to the wifi browser so that when I try to connect, I get a large BLACKBERRY sign in the middle of the screen when it is scanning.

However, an error message appears that says, "Unable to connect.  Contact your service provider).  I just tried at a Starbucks and a public library.

I am also about to post on Crackberry, but I found this link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f3/complete-wifi-how-47229/

The link goes into detail (in the troubleshooting section) about reconfiguring my router (at home) to work with the phone.  I will try that as a last resort because I have a feeling the problem may be somewhere in the settings of the phone.

The latest I have seen is that in the public library I tried, I did a site survey and came up with "red X's" in the categories below, but not "red X's" in the wifi category.

VPN:

Authentication = red X

Status = Error link down

UMA

Connection: red X

Error code: W006.7

Authentication: red X

Any help is appreciated.

Yep, sorry that is correct, WiFi Browser, not Hotspot.

That's what has to be saved, and then locate and connect to a hotspot. Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks. "Wifi browser" is saved.

I can connect to the network, but when I attempt to open the browser, this is what I see:

When I try to connect to a network (public library) it says I am connected. When I click on the browser icon on the homescreen, I have a number of options:

1. T-Zones links

2. Wi-Fi Services (hotspot login).......when I click on this an error message appears: "Unable to connect....contact service provider."

3. T-Zones (homepage).....when I click on this an error message appears: "Unable to connect....contact service provider."....

4. Blackberry bookmarks (homepage).....when I click on this an error message appears: "Unable to connect....contact service provider."

Thanks.

New Contributor

I should also mention that when I first got the phone (about a week ago), I was able to get onto my home internet. What I didn't know was that I was getting charged for the access. I think this information may be important to my problem, since I am now not able to use a browser anywhere (at home, Starbucks, library, etc.). It is for this reason that I don't think the problem is with the router configuration (since I was able to use the internet before).

Thank you in advance for considering my issue.

New Contributor

I wanted to add more information that I found after surfing for a solution. 

I did a "wipe" shortly after I got the phone.  Did this delete any service books that were necessary for me to use the wifi browser without a data plan?

The existing service books are:

1. T-Mobile USA WAP Browserc...

2. T-Mobile USA WAP Transport...

3. MMS Config [WAP]

4. WAP Push Config [WAPPushCO...]

5. Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [Brows...]

6. Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPT...]

Thank you.

New Contributor

Ok, I recognize that I am replying to myself, but after researching my problem, I realize that this topic is probably not going to get many replies.  This is for a few reasons, one of them being there does seems to be a somewhat negative view toward someone who is looking to use the Blackberry without a data plan.  I don't understand someone who would look down on this.  To me, it is just like someone with a laptop or an iPad connecting to wifi at home, in Starbucks or a public library...I don't see it as "cheating the system."

With that said, I will post the latest in my saga of trying to get this Blackberry 8320 to be able to surf the web.  At the very least, I will be able to see the progression of my attempts.

I updated the phone by downloading Blackberry's 4.5? OS. I'm not sure I'm saying this correctly, but the phone was wiped and then replenished with 4.50.81.  I noticed a few more icons on the homescreen and in Advanced Options, I noticed that the browser option other than T-mobile was now "hotspot browser" (used to by "wi-fi browser." 

I then downloaded the Blackberry desktop software.  From this step I downloaded Opera Mini to my PC and then transferred it to the phone using the desktop software.

My thought process was that since my phone would both recognize and connect to routers at my house, Starbucks and the public library, maybe it was the browser that was the problem.

However, when I attempted to use Opera Mini, I got an error message that it was trying to "connect to a low-level network."  I did some research and then edited the setting in Opera Mini to "Allow," I also enable the firewall on the phone. 

Then when I tried Opera Mini, I got a new error message that said, "the application operette 4$2dhifi has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is, not allowed by your IT policy."

I need to take a break from this problem because it is rather frustrating.  The frustration stems from the fact that there are people out there who have mentioned they have been able to access wi-fi and surf the web without a data plan.  In addition, I just don't understand why I can easily access wi-fi networks with my laptop, but somehow, this wi-fi enable Blackberry phone has presented so many problems to this end.

Any help is greatly appreciated.