Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8330 Unlock GPS - On Verizon Network

I am new to this forum and have a question regarding the ability to unlock the GPS on my Blackberry 8330 Curve that is currently subscribed to the Verizon network?  Apparently, Verizon locks the use of the internal Blackberry GPS from any other application except their own Navigator software (which by the way they charge 9.99/mth to use).

I am trying to utilize the Garmin Blackberry GPS software and unfortunately Verizon is preventing the software from recognizing the internal GPS.  Does anyone know how to unlock that Verizon restriction?

Thank you for your time.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: 8330 Unlock GPS - On Verizon Network

The only way to make GPS work is to subscribe to VZ Navigator.  There is NO other way, whatsoever.  You can, however, purchase a Bluetooth GPS Reciever (puck) and use that for GPS info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

I can't imagine that Verizon would have the ability to place a physical block on the internal GPS; and Blackberry would not make an 8330 special for Verizon.  I would imagine the block is software related.  Anything written in code has the opportunity of being corrected.

Maybe a better way to ask is, does anyone know the specific files needed for the Blackberry device to adequately utilize the internal GPS?  If so, do you know where I can obtain the proper version of those files and install them on my device?

Thank you all again for your time.

(John - I really do appreciate the response! Thank you!  Smiley Surprised)

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

You are not alone in your persistence.  This has been an ongoing debate for several years.  It has been tried and tried and tried and nobody has ever been successful in getting around this block.  The BlackBerry has the best security in the industry (that's why you see government and military people using them) and the BB has never been hacked.  This Verizon GPS issue has been a topic of VERY HOT debate on every BB forum I've ever been to.  At this point, it cannot be hacked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9530

Blackberry makes specific devices for Verizon as they do for At&t and other cellular carriers.  There is no way to unlock the gps navigation unless you purchase the Navigator program.  This I am 100% certain of.  Sorry for the info but that's how it is.

Hope this helps....

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

snowman1925 wrote:

I can't imagine that Verizon would have the ability to place a physical block on the internal GPS; and Blackberry would not make an 8330 special for Verizon.  I would imagine the block is software related.

hello,

it is not software-related but network-related. Basically, when you want to connect to the GPS satellite system, yo have to go through Verizon's network. They just make it so slow that your GPS just drops connection and the GPS service is not initiated. Bell (United Kingdom) is about to do the same for both "Blackberry Maps" and "Google Maps for Blackberry"

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

Sorry, Xandrex, but I don't believe you.  Can you site a source for this?

GPS Receivers are passive, and do not use carrier networks (they receive from satellites).  Map downloads use carrier networks, but map downloads are not disabled.

The disabling of the GPS in the 8330 is most likely done in hardware or in software.

Based on comments re-posted from RIM and Vz reps in other forums, it is mostly likely disabled through the use of signed software code.  This also makes it very unlikely that anyone will ever unlock it.

I have yet to see a siteable reference that definitely proves which type of locking is used.

Guru I

Three 2007 links :
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/daves-download/2007/8/22/verizon-quietly-disables-blackberry-gps.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/327280/verizon_wireless_pulls_plug_on_blackberry.html
http://www.cyberlaw.pro/cyberlawg/general-interest/suit-challenges-verizon-on-blackberry-gps.html

a petition for Verizon to allow GPS other than using their own software : http://www.petitiononline.com/vzwgps/petition.html

Now, if the only way for you to believe that is by reading a PR from VZ, be my guest. I don't care, I am not a VZ subscriber.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Blackberry 8330

I'm not understanding Verizon blocking Garmin but yet is allowing Google maps for Blackberry. It uses my GPS just fine. It located me with in a few seconds using the built in GPS of my 8330. However, when I try to use the Garmin software it states that it cannot find the GPS unit and tries to connect via Bluetooth to a non existent GPS unit.
Guru I

hello pongidae,

what do you expect from the forum contributors ?