Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

8330 & Macbook.... help!

I got my macbook in March and then got my 8330 in may but I can't seem to figure out how to get the desktop software for a mac or get pocket mac to work... any tips anyone may have? I need to update my calendar and edit the songs on my phone (all info is from my previous computer which was a PC)... I'm still a new mac user and know that I don't know everything my computer can do haha. Please let me know if anyone can help or has any tips! Thanks!

--Lauren 

New Developer

Re: 8330 & Macbook.... help!

Lauren,

I have the same setup and use PocketMac which is free and sync with the Address Book program.  There are settings for two-way sync, overwrite device, and overwrite mac, but there are still some bugs.

As far as the calendar goes, I do that a little differently.  I use Google calendar and the Google app on the curve which syncs my calendars.  It is also set up to email me a daily agenda.  I also use BusySync to sync iCal to Google calendar but find myself using Google calendar more and more.  I've authorized some office personnel to be able to add events to my schedule so that is helpful too.

Finally you can enable mass storage and directly copy MP3 files (not protected iTunes songs directly--burn to CD and reimport them as MP3 is what I do).  The sound quality is pretty poor, but does the trick when you don't want to carry your ipod as well. 

Highlighted
KLJ
New Contributor

My MacBook Pro will not even recognize my BB Curve 8330 (Verizon).  I've spent countless hrs with BB, Apple and Verizon tech support - no one can help. PocketMac won't respond to my support email.  Many older posts recommend downloading a patch from BB website, but that patch is no longer available.  BB support staff claim that the updated PocketMac 4.1.25 fixed the problem, but it still doesn't work. I'm getting desperate - I need my contacts and calendar on my phone!!  Anyone - can you help?  Only viable solution I've seen thus far is to run my MacBook in Windows and download the driver....is there a solution that does not force me to run in Windows?
Contributor

I use Missing Sync for BlackBerry, works great for me.

https://www.markspace.com/products/blackberry/blackberry-sync-mac-software.html 

KLJ
New Contributor

Thanks vidmaster99 - I finally bit the bullet and coughed up the $40 for MissingSync, which allowed me to sync my contacts, calendar, etc.  Finally!  I'm still not sure why PocketMac wouldn't work, but I'm just happy to be able to use all functionality in my BB.

Warning - rant to follow -- I wasted many, many hours spinning my wheels with BB, Verizon and Apple trying to get PocketMac to talk to my 8330.   None of them suggested alternative software. I was told by Apple Care that the 8330 is not compatible with Mac's operating system; BB had me get a new 8330, then create a new Mac user for installation (didn't work); and Verizon punted me to PocketMac, who ignored my emails.  Very frustrating.  I owe the help I've received to community blogs and forums. Tech support at the 3 companies - totally useless.  --end of rant

New Developer

I'm not sure why they would say it is incompatible, I've gotten mine to work with a black Macbook and 10.5.5.  This is with PocketMac sync manager 1.2 (1.4) whatever that means.  The version of PocketMac I downloaded was 4.1.25.  My Verizon 8330 is less than a month old.

Its too bad Apple wasn't much help.  They probably put all of their effort into their iPhones anyway. 

New Contributor

i've got my MacBook Pro to sync with my BB 8330 from Verizon.  The only thing I dont understand is how to add themes to the Blackberry Via PocketMac. Any ideas??

OMG!  I can't believe it!  10 times trying to install and uninstall pocket mac on my new APPLE MACBOOK PRO...I was ready to throw it!  Every time I loaded it...INSTALL first, then restart...PATCH 2nd and then restart...then try to connect. Every time the sync would bounce at the bottom and freeze.  I could not get the PocketMac to Open.  I even tried paying pocket mac 30$ to help me...what a joke!!!  

I read one of the blogs for mark space item...$39.95 was the BEST INVESTMENT EVER!  1st try...SYNC'D!  Blackberry to MacBook Pro...DONE!  Forget PocketMac...pay the money and save yourself the hastle!

Link for it is here.... http://www.markspace.com/products/blackberry/blackberry-sync-mac-software.html

:-) Woo Hoo!