Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8330 limited to .3gp and .mp4 for video

It seems to be a well kept secret that the BlackBerry Curve 8330 only supports video formats .3gp and .mp4 Simple Profile (SP).  There have been many forum queries on this subject.  In many cases the person asking has the 8330 and wants to work with .avi files.  The responders often assume .avi will work (since it does with all other Curves) and ends up pointing them down a dead end street.  I also notice that most of the forum queries never finish with a resolution.

This limitation puts a real damper on my ability to capture video with the 8330 Curve Video Camera and send it to friends and family.  Many of whom are novices at computers.  Requiring them to figure out how to watch a .3gp file is just wrong.   .3gp is the only format in which the Curve Video Camera captures, so when you email it, that is what they get.

Also, many of the recommended programs such as BlackBerry Video Converter do not work since the output  produces .avi files.   So far, I have struck out completely putting any format of video on the 8330 with BlackBerry Desktop Manager and actually getting it to work.

I know VLC and Quicktime will play captured 8330 videos (.3gp format).  But how many novice computer users have VLC or Quicktime?  And why should they be required to obtain them when Windows comes with Windows Media Player?

Can someone explain why the 8330 only supports .3gp and mp4 (limited to mpeg-4 SP (Simple Profile)) when the other Curves (8300, 8310, 8320, 8350i) all support .mp4, m4a, .mov, .3gp, .avi, and .wmv?

Jim