Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8350i Cannot send SMS only MMS. Nextel says BB don't support SMS.

I just got my 8350i  (BB with Nextel).  I love it, but I am unable to send SMS.  My understanding is that SMS is the same as a text message.  When I send text messages to people, it appears as something that they have to go to the internet to download the text.  Even if I say HI as the text, it makes them download the message.  My guess is that the BB is chaning my message to a MMS, instead of a SMS.   I called Nextel and they said that blackberrys don't support sms.  Is this true?

If so what in the !$%@ are they thinking?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: 8350i Cannot send SMS only MMS. Nextel says BB don't support SMS.

It has to do with IDEN format not supporting it correctly, its not really a support issue as much as a technical limitation

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor

I am confused by this because I have a friend who has a Nextel and can send SMS.  So why is Blackberry unable to do this?
Visitor

I have been messing with this for 2 days now, about to drive me crazy.  There has got to be a way to correct or solve.
New Contributor

Wahoo!!!! After I called nextel and they said, oh that is a known problem with Nextel Blackberries, Nextel BB Can't support sms.  I persisted and go through to level 3 BB support and the guy had me up and running with SMS on my 8350i.  Finally in this century with my phone!
Visitor

You can send SMS. how did they fix it? I can't get anywhere with the support line.
New Contributor

Please let us know how this problem was fixed. I am unable to send SMS messages but I can receive them!?!?
New Contributor

I reset my BB and was then able to send text messages. I pulled the battery out for about 30 seconds and then reinstalled it. When the BB booted up, I was then able to send text messages.

I hope this helps!

Steve

New Contributor

I am also having this problem and it is a pain to have to retrieve the message every time. Please let us know how to fix, I have tried removing the battery and no luck.

Highlighted

Problem Fixed !!! Re: 8350i Cannot send SMS only MMS. Nextel says BB don't support SMS.

Hello everyone ! I really hope that this information is good and I hope to save you time and a bad time, since I went thru this whole bad situation. I want to let Sprint PCS know that in order to have a good phone such as this BB 8350i they need to train their representatives about this phone, nobody seems to know what is going on about their new phones. I spent almost 1 hour in the phone with a Sprint PCS/Nextel representative trying to work my 8350i and he end up telling me that this phone WAS NOT SMS CAPABLE WHEN IT IS !!!

Anyway I had the same problem, I couldn't send SMS here is what I did; I called 611 from another nextel phone to get technical support, once one of them pick up ask them to tranfer you to Blackberry support. I am guessing Sprint has a special BB tech support or they transfer you to the BB Tech support center, which by the way if you call without being transfered from Sprint they will charge you $45 to TRY to fix the problem, solution may not be guarantee. Once I got tranfered to the BB tech support from sprint I has to make a couple of configuration changes such as the Firewall options, then  options/advanced options/Browser push and finally somehow my BB was able to send and recieve SMS without no problem. Here are the Sprint tech support numbers :

Dial *2, press Talk
or
888-211-4727 (Sprint phones)
800-639-6111 (Nextel phones)
800-877-4646 (Wireline services)

So basically the 8350i IS CAPABLE OF SMS, if your nextel respresentative says it is not, hang up and call again a lot of the sprint/nextel representative are not good at all, I has so many bad incidents with sprint that I can even remember one time this ladie started yelling at me ! anyway call them and they should be able to fix the problem for you