Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: TIM Italy
Accepted Solution

8520 Contacts

Hello everybody, could you help me understanding if there's a possibility to create 1 directory, under the contact  list, in which to put just the telephone numbers and another 1 for just the e-mails address?

Or else, anybody knows how to separate the phone book from the e-mails? (I don't want to use the SIM card at all) Thanks a lot.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 8520 Contacts

Hi there,

Well, that's not actually how it works. Rather, it works the other way around. A contact item is for a person (or a firm, or some other entity). Within that entry are all of the various contact methods for that entity -- phone numbers (multiple), email addresses (multiple), street addresses, etc. That way, when you are for instance looking for John Smith, you only have one contact item to look at, and it will contain all of the information about John Smith. You would use whichever contact method is pertinent to what you are attempting to do right then...if you are sending an email, you use the email address. If you are sending an SMS, you use the mobile number. If you are making a call, you use whichever telephone number you desire (e.g., cell, office, home, etc.).

The way you are suggesting, there would have to be at least two contact items for each entity. John Smith would require an entire contact item just for the phone number and another for the email address. Extrapolated from there, you'd need multiple contact items for John Smith...one for each and every method of contacting him.

So, that's the way it works.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot for your answer. This means that there is no way to create 2 sub-directories in the contact list and put some names under it? Sorry to bother you again.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

That's correct. The way it works precludes what you are wanting to do. If you were on BES, you could create sub-folders under Contacts, but even in that condition all of the folders are displayed on the BB intermingled (at least in my case they are). So, it does not accomplish what you think you want to do.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

You can do this, it's just a case of having 2 contact details for each person, one with phone number & one with emails, and then creating 2 groups (e.g. "Phone" and "Email") and add the appropriate contact to the right group.  Works fine on a 8520 I tried it on here.

Regular Contributor

Great. That's exactly what i wanted. I already created 2 directories in my contact list but how to move or create contacts inside of them?
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Go into the group, press the menu button, select "Add Member", select the contact you need.