Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 8520
My Carrier: VODAPHONE

8520 doesn't receive/make calls/texts

[ Edited ]

Hi.  I am sure you have seen this a million times and I apologise.   I bought two new blackberry 8520 from ebay from different sellers.  One unbranded and unlocked, the other branded and locked  to Vodaphone.  The unlocked one works fine with my tesco sim, no problems.  The branded/locked to Vodaphone one was unlocked this morning with a code I paid for and got off the internet and not through Vodaphone.  It now shows the phone is disabled and it recognises the Tesco sim (although still branded), but all calls and messages fail when sent and if I try to ring it it goes straight to voicemail.

Is it the phone or the sim?   The phone was an unwanted gift so the seller is not sure if the phone's pin was registered.  Tesco have asked vodaphone to release the pin which will happen in the next 24-48 hours but will this make any difference?   Some of the forums with the same query as mine seem conflicting, i.e. release the pin to get access to BBM and internet but not a direct problem with calling and texting.

Any help gratefully received.  I believe the seller genuine and they have responded  to my query but I am stressing about whether I have a dud phone now and hope to try and put it right.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: 8520 doesn't receive/make calls/texts

Releasing the SIM from Vodafone will help you to be configured any other network. But the condition is that your phone is unlocked!! As you mentioned you purchased unlock code meaning the should work with voice and text (as basic feature) with any operators SIM card. You need to be ensured that your purchased unlock works perfect.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

The network says it is disabled, so it must be unlocked?   Is that correct or could it still be locked?  I have to admit I am puzzled as to why my sim works in the other phone and makes calls, but not this one.   It is stressing me out big style.

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > press and hold CAP button and press MEPD. You'll see

SIM : Disabled

Network : Disabled

Network Subset : Disabled

Service Provider Disabled

Corporate : Disabled

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Yep, that's what I do see.  What else could be wrong if the phone is unlocked.  I can't see the pin release is going to make any difference. Thanks