Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Contributor
My Device: 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

[8530] Remove emoticons in SMS?

When sending and receiving sms messages, I want smiley faces to appear as text, not the emoticon.

Problem- Smiley Happy

Solution- 

I have searched all around the internet with no solution, and it looks like the smily faces are integrated into the OS.

I will try any backdoor ways to fix this problem. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: [8530] Remove emoticons in SMS?

Hi LukeHampton

This feature cannot be disabled and is by design.

Thanks

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

The feature can be disabled. Just not easily.

The app "crunchSMS" in the Blackberry App World has a feature that you can disable smiley's as emoticons.

So obviously it can be done. I just want to know how to do with the default messaging application with my Blackberry 8530.

Thanks!
Highlighted
Contributor

Still need help.. anyone?

Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: telus

are you actually sending this messages to others with a similarly aged phone? i have emoticons on my torch, but i know my friend's curve doesn't show them as emoticons... so maybe it's not as much of an issue as you think? otherwise, maybe just try leaving a space somewhere in between. that fixes the issue for sure, although it does look a little odd

Contributor

I know that the people I am sending the smiley faces too show up as text.

But it shows as an emoticon on my phone. And I can't stand it.

Contributor

No one has yet to come up with a solution. Please help!
Contributor

I hate to bump this thread, but if anyone could help?

New Contributor
My Device: TORCH
My Carrier: SPRINT

LOOKING FOR HELP TO REMOVE THE SMILEYS FROM MY TEXT APP TOO.....CAN'T STAND THEM............IDEAS OR HELP?

My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Well even though I downloades crunchSMS, it does not get rid of the **bleep** emoticons. So don't waste time trying. And, when I went through all the setting changes the app told me to, it froze my phone, and I had to remove the battery... Twice.

LukeHampton wrote:
No one has yet to come up with a solution. Please help!