Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8800 keyboard won't unlock after batter drain.

Forgot to charge my unlocked 8800 last nite, and recharged it over several hours today.  It 'boots', connects to Desktop/Device Manager, and responds to calls and txt msgs, but the keyboard remains locked.  I can (sometimes) move the cursor around with the trackball, but cannot make any selections, answer a call or look at messages.  Took Battery, SIM card, SD Ram card out, waited 10 mins & restarted, but no change.  Even restored from backup file, but didn't fix.  It ignores the usual 'unlock sequence' ('A'+GreenPhone).

I bought it online, so the local Provider (SunCom, soon to be T-Mobile) isn't likely to be too much help on a 'Hardware' issue.  RIM makes it VERY difficult to contact directly, and I haven't found a 'Solution' on their 'Support' site, Anybody out there with a suggestion?

PGG 

Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9530

Re: 8800 keyboard won't unlock after batter drain.

I don't think the battery drain had anything to do with the keyboard unlock.  It's just a coincidence.  What I would do is to make sure your device is fully charged.  Remove the battery, sim card and sd card.  Reinstall just the battery and let it boot.  If the keyboard is not responding to the unlock code, you've got a defective keyboard and it needs to be repaired.  I'm sorry that there's no "quick fix" for this one.  Hope this info helps you out.

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 8800 keyboard won't unlock after batter drain.

Thanks.  I already tried taking everything out and letting it boot up 'naked', and nothing happened.  Even tried installing updated internal software, with no result.  I'm afraid you're right.  Unfortunately, I bought this online, and not sure exactly how to get it serviced/repaired/replaced, since it was not purchased direct from RIM or the local carrier (SunCom).