Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8830 World Edition
My Carrier: Vodafone India (Vendor: 269 Tata Indicom)
Accepted Solution

8830 World Edition GSM Unlock and Vendor Id

Hi,

I am a tech unsavvy guy and have a 8830 World Edition phone. Bought this from Tata Indicom (Vendor ID: 269), a CDMA operator who also provided a GSM SIM for international roaming only. Last month, Mobile Number Portability came into India, and I switched to a GSM Provider, Vodafone India. Post number porting, simply Inserted the new Vodafone SIM, and the phone and the Blackberry services are working fine with the new operator. Couple of questions:

1. From Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM Card, after typing MEPD, I see:

ID:                            a big number

Personalization:

SIM                                    Disabled

Network                                Active

Network Subset              Disabled

Service Provider              Disabled

Corporate                         Disabled

Does this mean my Blackberry is locked? If yes, is it locked by Vodafone? Since I did switch the service provider from Tata to Vodafone and carry the same number on the same phone, Tata does not seem to have locked the phone.

2. Typing Alt EACE, I still see the Vendor ID 269 (Tata). Also see the Tata logo at start up. Is there any way I can change the Vendor ID or at least stop getting the old Vendor's splash screen? Does this Vendo ID has anything to do with the Lock mentioned above?

Would really appreciate if some kind soul enlightens.

Thanks,

Sabyasachi

India

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 8830 World Edition GSM Unlock and Vendor Id

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Please review this KB, along with others it links to, for good information:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_unlock_my_BlackBerry%3F

Your BB should be locked to Tata...all BB's are locked to their original carrier until one obtains and uses the proper unlock code. In all honestly, with what yours displays, it should not be able to function on any carrier other than Tata (until you unlock). So that's strange...

Sabyasachi wrote:

Is there any way I can change the Vendor ID or at least stop getting the old Vendor's splash screen?

Nope...that is buried very deep in the ROM of the BB...not accessible.

Sabyasachi wrote:

Does this Vendo ID has anything to do with the Lock mentioned above?

Sort of...all it means is that it's locked to Tata. Once you unlock it, it becomes irrelevant. Likewise, the carrier splash screen is irrelevant.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Many thanks for the response.

Since I am using the phone on Vodafone Network for more than a month now, what does the lock by Tata mean in this case? All I can see of Tata is the splash screen. I would have liked to remove it too if I could for making our divorce sort of no-string-attached (or no-splash-attached, more precisely), but otherwise it is fairly innocuous.

What benefits could I get by unlocking? Would it remove the splash screen?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Sabyasachi wrote:

Since I am using the phone on Vodafone Network for more than a month now, what does the lock by Tata mean in this case?

As I said above, with what you've told us, I am completely stumped as to why it even works on Vodafone at all. It should not.

Sabyasachi wrote:

What benefits could I get by unlocking?

Technically, the ability to run on other networks. But, since it's already doing so, you've already got that benefit (though, again, I've no idea why it works...it should not).

Sabyasachi wrote:

Would it remove the splash screen?

As I said above, it will not. You cannot remove the Tata splash screen no matter what you do.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. Appreciate.

Trying to demystify the working of the phone on the new network without unlocking. 8830 WE is a dual-radio phone. I had a CDMA connection from Tata, and they also provided a GSM SIM for international roaming. However, outside of country, I could use any other local GSM SIM on the same phone for cost-saving on international roaming (but no Blackberry Services) even when I was a Tata subscriber. Even inside the country I experimented with Non-Tata domestic SIM and chosing GSM radio the phone did pick up the new Network while being a Tata CDMA subscriber.

So the Tata lock, whatever it otherwise means, never prevented me to use the phone with other vendors' SIM. When I disconnected the Tata service, I could similarly use Vodafone SIM. I also subscribed Blackberry services from Vodafone, and that too is working, I find.

However, there are certain service quality issues on the BB services that I am facing. The phone sort of hangs and BIS gets cut off once or twice a day. I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to resume services. I am confused if these are Network problems or Handset problems. Need to know with some certainty before I take a decision to change the handset. Could that be caused in part by the Tata 'Lock'? If the answer is yes, I will invest on unlocking. Else, will look for switch of handset (or Network!).

Once again, many thanks for your patient reading of my ramblings and relevant responses.

Hall of Famer III

There must be something different about a WE BB that enables the use of other SIMs even while still locked to the home carrier. Odd, but your experience proves out the theory. I doubt seriously that unlocking will make any difference, but you certainly could try I suppose.

I'm not sure why your BB is acting as you describe...but, I want to suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried. However, you will want to be cautious here. I don't know how you originally got your BB services functioning on your current carrier. All BB services are controlled by Service Books. If a carrier does not natively support a BB model on their network, there are some tricks that must be undertaken to get those SBs onto that non-native BB. If that had to be done, then don't proceed here...you might just wipe out all of your BB level services. But, if none of those tricks were required (which would mean that your carrier natively supports your specific BB model), then you should be safe to proceed.

Steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB:

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Perhaps that will make a difference. I really don't know for sure, to be honest. It's a tricky venture and you may well be just as well served by obtaining a new BB that you obtain from your carrier...that way, you at least would have that channel of formal support available to you.

Good luck!

New Contributor

First time activation worked seamlessly - I switched the service provider as well as network type from CDMA to GSM while still carrying the same phone and the same phone number. It did give me a kick apart from extreme convenience!

However, when I first encountered the issue of BB service-discontinuity for the first time and logged a support call to Vodafone, they did send the service book to my fone. Unfortunately, in the Vodafone India BB Internet website, I cannot open an account with my PIN and IMEI because it returns me a message - "Your account is not accessible via HTML browser. Please use your device to access Blackberry Internet Service". That is kind of an oxymoron, because I cannot use my device to access BIS in the first place which prompted me to re-send service books. So, the only option left for me is to call the Vodafone Call Centre and wait indefinitely. Step 3 is a more practical solution,  if step 1 does not work, and I do just that.

I know I have to move to a more contemporary and supported handset, just trying to stretch the old companion as long as I can and may be learn something in the process.