Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: 8900 drops WiFi connection, drops router connection when not constantly active (tested using pin

I know for a while TMobile was selling a version of the Linksys (WRT54G-TM I think) that was optimized for UMA.  Don't know what the differences were. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: 8900 drops WiFi connection, drops router connection when not constantly active (tested using ping)

For what its worth, I have been running two WRT54G's in wds mode for almost 2 years. I lose my uma connection maybe once or twice a month. Just turning all connections off and back on fixes it right up. It has never dropped a call, except for exchange when getting in the car and leaving, but thats not the WRT. I run tomato on both of mine and they work perfectly. In my experience you have to go tomato or dd-wrt, things just work better that way.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 8900 drops WiFi connection, drops router connection when not constantly active (tested using ping)

The same problem happened to my Bold 9000 too. mancpg is definitely right, and I can confirm that my wifi connection holds steady as long as I keep pinging it (ping -t in command prompt) from my laptop. The same steady connection can be retained if I have my IM application (IM Plus from Shape Services) logged in and active as the IM application have to check with the servers in short intervals regularly to check for new incoming IMs and that keeps the WiFi TCP connection alive.

I had similar problem with my netbook (a Dell Mini 1010) where the wifi cannot stay on for more than a few minutes and disconnects, reconnects again, and so on. The trick was to turn off all the powersaving options on the network card and voila, the wifi connection holds steady now. I believe this is similar to the case with BlackBerry, the difference is there is no way to turn off powersaving option in BlackBerry WiFi connectivity.

Now I am thinking about writing a small java app to ping the gateway continously forever until told to stop when I use wifi. Of course, my IM app is a good pinger already if I have it logged on.

Hong

My Device: 9860
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: 8900 drops WiFi connection, drops router connection when not constantly active (tested using pin

Change your router's wirless security settings from 'wap personal' to 'wep'. This will fix the problem.

Highlighted
My Device: Curver 8520
My Carrier: Idea

I had same problem, my wifi used to drop the connectivity, I wiped out my complete data, it didn't work.

I changed the router setting, log into your router, pick WIFI, change the Beacon Interval to 50ms, it would be 100ms, change it to 50ms, it would work fine then,  Now I can able to chat hourly without any connectivity loss with wifi. Hope it would work for you.