Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

8900 with Apple Mac

Hi - does anyone out there have experience of using the new 8900 in conjunction with a Mac computer ? I have always used a PC and MS Office software (Outlook) for syncing etc. I am thinking of getting a Mac and would like to hear of any issues before I go ahead. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Contributor

Re: 8900 with Apple Mac

You should really head over to the Mac forum here to get more info

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board?board.id=blackberryformac

My experience has always been poor with syncing my 8900 with the Mac, using either Pocket Mac or the Missing Sync software. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Not too bad for me right now because I use Google sync for all contacts & calendars.

Plus you cannot do an update of the Blackberry OS on a Mac unless you run some type of VM like Parallels or VMWare Fusion. I think RIM will soon provide some alternatives like OTA updates and desktop manager for Mac(hopefully by the summer).

New Contributor

Don't use the TMO forums they are a waste of time. I've been a Mac user for years and just found out the proper way to sync with your Mac. Use PocketMac for Blackberry, you can download it off the Blackberry website. You can also export all your contacts from yahoo or gmail into your address book and sync your address book with your BB 8900. I'm satisfied with my MacBook and my Blackberry. They are a great combination.

Contributor

We have a Blackberry 8900 Curve and a MacBook Air with which we want to synchronise contacts and i-Cal (plaus pictures etc. which is not as important).

Having downloaded the PocketSync for Mac and it's upgrade from the BB website, connected the phone by USB and pressed sync, it appears to be syncing, with an activity bar that finally finishes, only to open an error message (error 4): skipping.

I see there is a drop down menu that contains an option to "Add device" but this is greyed out so not functional.

We've spent hours (literally, 6 or more) contacting Vodafone, researching the web and trying various options, all in vain.

Can anyone give us a solutiuon please? (And - major gripe - why doesn't BB know about these problems and do something to solve them - I mean - how many platforms are there?, only PC and Mac. Surely it's not impossible to make BB's work with i-Sync)

Syncing the 8900 with MacBook seems to be an impossible event! I have spent 10+ hrs trying to get it working properly - thanks Blackberry you have made me an iPhone user!!!!

[ Edited ]

TulaMobile,

You have no problems whatsoever? Could you tell me what you did? I just got my 8900 and except for my iCal, nothing else syncs.

Message Edited by michelleren on 04-19-2009 05:36 AM

I'm a first time Blackberry user and longtime iMac (Intel) user.  I tried PocketMac with my 8900 and couldn't get it to launch.  After cleaning PocketMac off my computer I downloaded the trial Missing Sync.  That seems to be working, although I haven't tested it extensively.  Advice from that site also indicated removal of a couple of RIM files was necessary.  Do these things before downloading Missing Sync, or you'll just be wiping that off and starting over with it, too.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8300
My Carrier: Airtel

I am also going to switch from blackberry to iphone. The synching is so hard with blackberry!!!!

Contributor

Oh dear, this is appalling for BB. Why cant they get it right  ? And why do so many Mac commentators tell me that it works fine so long as you have PocketSync or whatever piece of elementary software, when users' experiences are that it plainly does not work.

I will stick my neck out and make a more general comment concerning Macs for previous PC users: get the VM Fusion/Paralells software and have a copy of Windows running on your Mac to make sure that everything you used to do with a PC still works on the Mac.

Contributor

I have just been told about mark/space dot com missing sync for blackberry. It can sync via bluetooth apparently, all the calendars, tasks, address book etc.

Has anyone had any experience, god or bad, with this? It may be well worth the $40 or so