Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310

8gb microsd card

I've read the forums over and over again and it seems as if the only way to get the 8gb flash card to work under an 8310 is to have 4.3 device software.  However, this is obviously not out yet.

1. Is 4.3 expected to be released anytime soon?

2. Has ANYBODY managed to get all 8gb working on their curve, and if so, HOW!?!?!?!?

Just for the record, my blackberry recognizes all 8gb, but when i try to transfer files through my computer (XP sp2), it acts as if it is full.  And as for roxio media manager, version 4.3, it runs obnoxiously slow, and eats at my computer worse than old-school fire sharing programs.

Thanks.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: 8gb microsd card

Max. Media Support depends on the version of device software you're using.

BlackBerry Device Software                         Media Card Size Limit

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0                         Up to 2GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1                         Up to 4GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2                         Up to 4GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0                         Up to 8GB

All are microSD.

Device 8110 come with 4.5 (formally known as 4.3). RIM not yet confirmed the timimng about the realease of new OS. But It might come pretty soon as per unconfirmed sources. 

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

tanzim wrote:

Max. Media Support depends on the version of device software you're using.

BlackBerry Device Software                         Media Card Size Limit

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0                         Up to 2GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1                         Up to 4GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2                         Up to 4GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0                         Up to 8GB

All are microSD.

Device 8110 come with 4.5 (formally known as 4.3). RIM not yet confirmed the timimng about the realease of new OS. But It might come pretty soon as per unconfirmed sources. 

Sorry, but that is incorrect. The chart is supposed to list 4.3.0, not 4.5.0. I have corrected and highlighted it in red. See the original BlackBerry documention for yourself.

Secondly, the 8110 did not come with 4.5.0, but rather 4.3.0. Additionally, 4.5.0 is not formally know as 4.3.0. Actually 4.3.1 is what was renamed as 4.5.0 and is yet to be publically releated.

Contributor

and...that was in reference to the 8100 series.  Any response to my original two questions?
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

[ Edited ]
Same answer. While that document was originally created for the 8100 it still applies to all BlackBerry devices that accept media cards. And yes you are correct. Version 4.3 is not currently available for the 8310.
Message Edited by d_fisher on 05-28-2008 08:19 PM
Contributor

So has anybody else gotten it to work through some weird means?  If so, please feel free to share.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

Hi,

Nope, sorry.

d_fisher is 100% correct.

Sorry that wasnt the answer you wqere hoping for.

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Hi d_fisher, I don't see any WRONG in my post.

I've changed the last line and for which i've given explanation below. OS 4.3 is now known as 4.5 that's what is ment by "... 4.5 (formally known as 4.3)". For your information I've collected this info from Knowledge Base article and in my other posts (Tagged as MediaCard) I've used the same info. The reason behind changing the last line is to give upto dated info JNNili. Moreover, You've written the same line that I wrote in different construction of santences!! RIM officially said that OS 4.3 will be know as OS 4.5 and this info is conveyed to all carriers. Due to which everyone expacted to say 4.5 instead of 4.3!

Hope you understand that. Thanks.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Please see the article (Doc ID: KB15062) at: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15062&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

It appears some aspect of the problem still exists even in version 4.3.0 of the software.  If I read the article correctly, formatting the 8GB MicroSD card using Windows and a card reader might be the solution.