Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: O2

910 Application Authorization Failure (with BIS, not BES)

I have tried to install some applications (e.g. Blackberry App World) but get the 910 Application Authorisation Failure error.  If I were using my Blackberry in a company using a BES then the knowledge base suggests that there is an IT Policy in place preventing the application from being installed.  However, I am with O2, synching to the likes of Google and BT Yahoo, using a BIS.  Just in case there is a policy, I have viewed it in Options > Security > Security Status Information and it says:

No Disallowed Applications

No Policies

That suggests there is no restriction.  So, does anyone know why I get the error?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 910 Application Authorization Failure (with BIS, not BES)

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

While rare, there are cases of "stealth" IT Policies that do not display, yet cause things to be blocked. Unfortunately, I know of only one way to actually verify that situation...and it's the same as if there were obvious evidence of a latent IT Policy.

If you wish to do it, here's what I'd recommend:

1) Backup, from inside of BBM, your BBM Contacts, to your device or media card memory:

• KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

2) Conduct a full backup, via the Desktop Software, of your BB to your PC:

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

3) Copy to your PC, via Mass Storage Mode, the entire contents of your Device and Media Card memory:

• KB11879 What is mass storage mode

4) Take a manual inventory of all of your apps that you obtain outside of AppWorld...include the source of the app as well as any necessary license keys.

5) Perform the ResetToFactory:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

6) Re-establish your BB ID and/or AppWorld connection (be sure to use the exact same credentials), and reinstall all of your AppWorld provided apps

7) Restore (selective -- not wholesale!) from your backup, but only those databases you really need, excluding especially anything to do with IT Policy:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file
  • KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list
  • If you do a wholesale restore or you restore the IT Policy database(s), you will be right back where you started

8) Reinstall all of your non-AppWorld provided apps, using the data you gathered in step 4 above

9) If needed, restore your BBM contacts from the backup taken to your device/media card...if the contents of those got wiped, also restore them from the copies you took to your PC in step 3 above

With that, you should be good to go. Be sure that you somehow mark that backup file, on your PC, as being the one that contains the IT Policy -- you don't ever want to accidentally use it as the source of wholesale restore.

Now, if the problem still presents, then that's terribly odd indeed...but hopefully it was indeed a stealth IT Policy, and this will wipe it out.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................