Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: 3

9300 Will not charge

Please help.

Is there a known issue with the 9300 not charging. I purchased my first in December 2010 by mid Feb 2011 it had stopped charging. I returned the phone to my carrier in the uk 3. The phone was unrepairable and was replaced under warranty. Now the replacement phone has the same problem but they are saying that it is a user issue and not a warranty issue. If they are to repair it, I need to pay £119 which is ridiculous as I could buy a new one for £179. They have told me that the charging connection is damaged on one of the internal terminals. Any help or advice would be much apprieciated.

Thanks

Lee

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: 9300 Will not charge

Hi

sendaparcel4me wrote:

Please help.

Is there a known issue with the 9300 not charging. I purchased my first in December 2010 by mid Feb 2011 it had stopped charging. I returned the phone to my carrier in the uk 3. The phone was unrepairable and was replaced under warranty. Now the replacement phone has the same problem but they are saying that it is a user issue and not a warranty issue. If they are to repair it, I need to pay £119 which is ridiculous as I could buy a new one for £179. They have told me that the charging connection is damaged on one of the internal terminals. Any help or advice would be much apprieciated.

I do not know of a charging issue specifically relating to your model. I do know that charging issues have occured across the BB range, but these are usually associated with a bad battery and/or charger and/or USB issue. My current BB had a defective battery and would not charge but this was rectified in the shop before I left.

So I can understand why 3 think its a user issue. The question is, when you received the new phone, did you get a new battery and charger and USB cable? Having previously had warranty work/replacements (although not with BB or 3) it was only the handset itself that was replaced and not these other parts.

I have also known phones been sent away for repair and being returned in the same condition. And a supposed replacement was, infact, the same phone. So, are 100% certain that the "new" phone is exactly that, new?

With either phone, was there any movement in the USB port when connecting to charger or cable?

Have you tried (borrowing?) a known good battery and charger? If not do so, even if you have to go to the shop and borrow one of theirs.

Check the USB ports on the PC. It is not unusual for only a few to be connected internally.

Having been through all of that please let us know the answers.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
New Contributor
My Carrier: 3

Thanks for your reply

I have tried the battery and charger with different units, the charger will charge an 8520 and my nokia N86 so they are both ok. The phone was definately a replacement item as it had a different imei number. Speaking to 3 today they said that they can not guarantee it was a brand new unit and may have been a reconditioned one, not happy finding that out. They have advised me to get in touch with blackberry.

My Carrier: brightstar

I think i just solved the 9300 not charging problem

I realized that when the battery temperature reach 42degree, it will stop charging

I don't know why. Maybe it stops for a safety precaution as when the battery gets hotter, it will damage the battery(maybe).

So my solution is to charge your BB in front of a fan or do something that can cool it off when charging.

Pull off the holster and the back cover, put the phone with keypads facing the table and let it have some ventilation going to the battery and it will charge normally.

lol I never had this problem with any other phones. Kinda funny

Regular Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: mobinil

I'm recently having a problem with the charging behavior of my 9300. I leave it to charge and it starts normally then I go back to it I find the sign of the plug on the battery indicator while the battery isn't fully charged yet. I pull out the plug and replug it again and still I get the plug sign on the battery. I did a battery pull out and plugged again, now what it does is that it starts charging and the battery flashes for about 30 seconds then it stops and I get the plug sign for 30 seconds. Then it starts flashing and charging again then stops. I normally charge my phone overnight so I hardly monitor the charging behavior. The only 2 times I monitored this happened. Also noticed that the phone is extra warm. So is all this normal? Us anyone having the same? Does it stop charging when it hears and starts again when it cools?
Contributor
My Carrier: Airtel India

Hi mira_ishak,

I'm facing the same problem like you. I've tried charging with different charger (with HTC charger), having higher current output of 1A instead of 700mA. There BB charges well without any problem. If you have found a solution this issue kindly let me know.

Regards,
Bhavan
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: mobinil

Hi Bhavan,
YES, I've at least found out the reason! When the phone is charging u will notice that it gets hot. If it gets too hot, the battery simply stops charging and restarts again aftet it cools down a bit. If u wanna run a quick test, while it is plugged, when it stops charging, uncover the battery and put the phone in front of a fan or an AC vent. It will start charging once again! I had found this in a post somewhere back then and tested true every time. So just keep it in a coool place while charging. Good luck Smiley Happy