08-01-2013 09:49 AM
Hi, I often visit Ukraine and when I'm there and use a local sim then I cannot get my phone to pick up internet. Why would that be? Other makes of phones i.e. Samsung, Iphone etc works perfectly there. Can someone please assist?
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-01-2013 12:41 PM
08-02-2013 05:37 AM
Hi, thank you for your prompt response. Let me try and give you a better picture of the situation:
1. My local service provider in South Africa (Vodacom) does not provide roaming services for the Ukraine, so I have to use a Ukraine network provider when I'm in the Ukraine (Life Network). So, when I'm in the Ukraine then I cannot use my local sim card because no roaming is supported by Vodacom for the Ukraine - this means that I cannot get my voicemail, text messages and any other services. Therefore I use the Life sim card when I'm in the Ukraine.
2. With the Life sim card I can at least make and receive calls, local and international. However, I can only receive text messages with this sim card and not send any text messages.
3. With my Vodacom sim card in South Africa I use my BIS services. I don't need to use BBM when I'm in Ukraine - it is not so important to me. But I would certainly like to use internet on my phone when I'm in Ukraine.
4. When I'm in the Ukraine and I stay in a hotel then I can sometimes access the internet on my phone when I activate my wi-fi services (but only if I use my original Vodacom sim card). In restaurants (where there are wi-fi available) my phone cannot access the internet on wi-fi, even if I do use my Vodacom sim.
5. I'm not sure that Ukraine even sell BB - I don't see people use BB there, mostly Iphone and Samsung.
6. I've not tried any alternative browser yet.
I hope this clarifies the problem a bit.
08-02-2013 09:25 AM