Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 9380
My Carrier: digicel trinidad and Tobago

9380 unable to get 3g

Hi all,
My 9380 version 7.1os is unable to get 3g
It is not my carrier or sim card because I am on a data plan and my sim works well in a torch.
I am getting 3g speeds. However I am still seeing edge on the top right screen. Even if I perform a manual search for available networks I am only finding 2g. But when I put my sim in a bb torch os6 and do the search I will get both 2g and 3g.
Because of this I cannot use the mobile hotspot option as well.
I have tried almost everything my carrier has told me to do.
So if anyone can tell me what setting I shoud put my phone on or anything else I should do I will be very grateful.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: 9380 unable to get 3g

[ Edited ]

Hello anna_eliza01 and welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you are having network issues with your BlackBerry® Curve™ 9360 smartphone.

Did you buy this device directly from your mobile carrier or was it purchased unlocked from another source? 

Network coverage is carrier determined so if you did buy this device from another branded carrier that didn't support 3G then when it wouldn't access 3G, even unlocked with another mobile carrier.

If you did purchase this from your mobile carrier and are still unable to acquire 3G then call your carrier and asked to be transferred to RIM® support for further investigation.

Hope this answers your question.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.
I bought it from a private merchant.
I believe the problem is the bandwidth.
I'm getting 3g speeds but I'm unable to see 3g only seeing EDGE.
To use the mobile hotspot I had to get the APN from my carrier so that problem has been solved.
So the only problem is that I'm seeing EDGE instead of 3g. But seeing that I'm getting the 3g plan and service is that really an issue?
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Because the device wasn't branded to your carrier, the software used might be from a carrier that doesn't support 3G and therefore it won't be coded into the software.

If you are getting the speed but don't see the logo, personally, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Glad to hear you got the Mobile Hotspot working.

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Thanks much.
One more question.
U said it most likely wasn't coded into the software. Can that be fixed? As can it be coded somehow?
My Device: Not Specified

I have the very same problem. I bought the phone from a private merchant that got the phone directly form a blackberry event, and been unable to connect to 3G only EDGE. I recently upgraded the operating system and recognizes now 3G/4G but sitll unable to connect at 3G speeds. any suggestions?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

coletuckler wrote:
I have the very same problem. I bought the phone from a private merchant that got the phone directly form a blackberry event, and been unable to connect to 3G only EDGE. I recently upgraded the operating system and recognizes now 3G/4G but sitll unable to connect at 3G speeds. any suggestions?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................