Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 9630 Tour Muffled Sound?

I just tried that and left myself a voicemail and I sound crystal clear. I really don't know if that fixed the issue but I seem to sound fine to myself. Now I just have to go through a whole day of talking to friends on the phone and ask them if they hear my voice muffled. Thanks! =P
New Contributor

Re: 9630 Tour Muffled Sound? - A tiny speaker phone on bottom of device

I renewed my contract with VerisonWireless 2 days ago. I had BB 8830 before. The BB 8830 had its own set of issues, which I finally solved some by upgrading its OS to 4.6. I waited to get the BB Tour 9630 but has mixed feeling about the performance and functionality.

Many on this board shared your frustrations about the outbound "muffled sound" on the receiving side. I noticed the tiny speak phone on the BB Tour 9630 actually is located at the very bottom of the device. If I cupped my hand at the bottom of the device under the speak phone, I got the feedback from the person whom I was talking to and was told he/she could hear me a lot better. 

In addition, I tested the BB Tour 9630 last night. Left 3 voice messages on my home answering machine from my BB Tour 9630: First one I held the device with no cupped hand. Second one I held the device with cupped hand. Third one I held the BB Tour 9630 device directed the tiny speak phone in front of my mouth.

The results you can pretty much guess. The sound quality with the first one being the worst (voice/sound mostly not directed to the speak phone), second better (some voice/sound directed to the speak phone), and thrid a lot better (voice/sound directed straight to the speak phone).

This seems a design issue. We, as the users, suffer from this inferiority. As pitiful as it sounds, since we have already had the device we can find a workaround to improve the outbound sound quality. Figure out what needs to do to direct/channel the sound comes from your mouth more directly to the speak phone.You do whatever works for you. I realize what I am saying sounds really pathetic but we find a way to survive. I hope, in the next release, BlackBerry will understand a lot better on how the device functions in the most natural and efficient way for users to have a more pleasant and productive experience. We buy/use the device for its functionality, user experience, quality, and last not the least its cool factor called fashion statement - it has to look sharp and good.

Highlighted
New Contributor

My new tour was just delivered today.   After reading about the BT problems i was definitely ready to try anything as soon as I got it.   I've played around with the settings as listed in the previous posts, but my best success has been with the "Proper Blackberry Holding Technique".   Holding the blackberry lower down my jaw, or my palm cupping below it, almost talking into my hand created an enormous different in voicemail quality.   I placed 4 separate voicemail test calls to my YouMail voicemail account.  I would verbally describe where my phone was while i was speaking, and the best results each time were with the hand down cupping the bottom of the phone and speaking into the hand.

I will see if this helps the BT issue too tomorrow.  Boo!

Visitor

Well, holding the phone a particular way with your hand is a short term solution... but what the hay... we shouldn't have to bend over and call it a day after paying for the latest tech.   I bought two BB Tour's (his and hers) and noticed the muffled voice on the first call to my wife.  At first we thought it was just a bad connection.  Second call we were concerned and called VW.  After trying many different settings they sent replacement phones with no hesitation along with many condolences.  Hoping it was just a bad batch (as we ordered the phones on Sunday... the day before the actual release).  Regretably, there was no change in our second phones. 

However, we found that when we both went on speaker, it was crystal clear.  When shifting to speaker, I believe that the microphone attenuation is removed (or the microphone gain is increased) as it expects you to be talking further away from the phone.  But, you can't always talk on speaker... face it some calls are just private.  So, I searched every possible setting to lock the microphone sensitivity to "high or Loud"  but that doesn't exist.  I'm pretty sure that the software controls this functionality.  Could be an easy fix in the software.  I love this phone... but the muffled voice hasta go.  We're hoping the fix is underway... just a waiting game.

Thanks to the other posts here... I'll give those a whirl.     

I too have had issues with outgoing sound quality. The Bell rep has swapped my phone once already and I'm planning to do the same this weekend!! They claim it's likely a bad batch and that I'm the first to complain. Yes RIM, the batch lot number is "Tour." This is time consuming and frustrating! Prior to swapping phones I'll try a wipe as suggested by several users. Thanks. Come on RIM fix the problem!!!!
Contributor

Here's my "Muffled Strory"

I was checking out the new Tour at my local VZW store.  I called MY phone from the Tour that was set up in the store, just to see how my voicemail sounded.  It sounded OK... a little muffled.

HOWEVER.  2 hours later, I look down at my phone and I notied I had a "MISSED CALL"...  I was like "who is thiss??"  I called the number back.

The person answers, and I'll I hear is, "Bpffhh Irezz".  I'm like WTF????

I  say, "HELLO"... they Reply, ""Bpffhh Irezz"..

It sounded like the dude was talking through a goats **bleep**.

Anyway, I figured out he was saying "Verizon Wireless", because the "missed call" on my phone was ME calling from the tour!!  When I called back a VZW rep answerd.  I couldn't hear him for **bleep**!!

Anyway, no one I know has complained about me "sounding muffled"  I dunno....

New Contributor

Just got the Tour from Sprint and it’s going back.  The outgoing voice quality is totally unacceptable.  Everyone tells me that I sound muffled.

Here’s what I’ve tried in the way of trouble shooting that DID NOT WORK:

1.       “Automatic Volume Control” was set to Enable and Disable, but neither setting fixes my poor outgoing audio quality.

2.       “Enhance Handset Call Audio” was set to Normal, Boost Bass and Boost Treble.  This only affected the incoming audio and made no changes to outgoing audio, and thus didn’t fix the issue.

3.       “Wipe” didn’t fix the issue.  It just erased my data.

4.       Bluetooth devises didn’t provide a work-around.  The outgoing audio quality was also poor using the Tour.  The same Bluetooth devises work fine with other phones.  Also tried various settings on the Tour to adjust Bluetooth audio like turning “Echo Control” on and off, but nothing would improve the poor outgoing audio quality.

5.       OEM headset from the box.  Mine is worthless.  You have to push it all the way in, then pull back out 0.3 mm in order to get a working connection.  If it moves just slightly, the connection breaks and audio defaults back to the headset.  This is a separate issue talked about in other threads. 

Here’s what I tried that KIND-OF-WORKS:

6.       The "Proper Blackberry Holding Technique” discussed by other in this thread is the only thing that improved the outgoing audio quality.  When you cup your hand below the microphone and talk into your hand, it improves the quality tremendously.  If the quality was this good when you held the phone in other, more comfortable, positions then I’d probably keep the phone.  But let’s face it, you’ll never know if you holding it just right unless you’ve got the receiving phone against your other ear or the other party complains.

I can’t tell if it’s a hardware or software issue.  However, for the money I paid, it shouldn’t be this bad.

This is my first, and possibly my last Blackberry.  I’m going to have to wait for a better phone to come out before giving up my Sprint Mogul by HTC.  Windows Mobile does suck, but after a 20 second soft boot people can at least hear my part of the telephone conversation clearly.  Call me old fashion, but I still use my phone for voice conversations.  And the performance of the Tour is unacceptable as a phone.

Contributor

I switched from AT&T to  Verizon just to obtain the Tour. From Day 1, I had everyone complaining about the muffled sound.  I tried 3 phones, which as you know, is  a pain to switch.  ALL of them had muffled sounds.  I had to temporarily switch to an LG phone until Blackberry fixes this problem.  It is not a Verizon network issue.  I went all the way to the top with Verizon level 3 techincal engineers.  They even ported my number to a Tour at their facility and had the same muffled sound issue.  I called Blackberry in Canada and they deny they have a problem.  There are just too many of these out there with the same problem not to be a Blackberry flaw. I am very disappointed in Blackberry for their complete lack of response and denial of any "issues".  I really didn't want to go back to the Curve, because Verizon, as of today, does not offer the latest model that AT&T does.  If Verizon doesn't have this resolved with Blackberry within a month, I am switching back to AT&T and going back to the Bold.
Contributor

I had the exact same issue.  After getting replacement phones and wasting a ton of time with Tech support I cancelled the service within the 30 days and went back to my Bold w/AT&T.  

It's a shame that neither Verizon or RIM will admit to any issues.  After a few other employees suffered through the same thing our IT department issued a notice that they would not activate any Tours from both Sprint or Verizon and advised users not to upgrade to that model.  

Contributor

Thanks so much for answering me on this issue.  It was incredibly frustrating.  I think I will cancel with Verizon today and go back to AT&T and the Bold....You gave me the push...Smiley Happy