Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 9630 Tour Muffled Sound?

Good tip, thanks! I also have people telling me I sound muffled on my new Tour from Sprint. I tried this quick fix you suggested and it did help, but still not where I want it. Do you know if they are planning a better fix for this issue? I have 2 weeks left before my 30 days to return runs out. Also having the tracking ball issue by the way, ugh! This phone is sooo close to everything I need, but i'm using for business and the sound quality issue is a deal breaker for me if not fixed soon. :-(
New Contributor

Got my 9630 today, and registered here to post my 2 cents. Upon trying Pandora I realized the sound was distorted and muffled. After searching the web I found mmm208's post on this thread and tried those steps. Then I realized I had not pushed the headphone connector into the jack all the way! So I pushed a little more and it clicked in to place, maybe a millimeter or two further. Bingo. Clear bass, clear treble, and good volume. This is on a pair of Sennheiser PX200's. Trackball works fine. What a great camera on this thing. My box has a sticker of a small green dot.
Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm back! I've had the Blackberry Tour for over 2 1/2 weeks now, and I've tried all the fixes on here, short of making the mic hole bigger with a thumb tack. Not sure I want to take that chance. The sound is still so bad my customers are wanting me to hang up and call from a land line. This is totally unacceptable!!! I went to Sprint store today, for the 3 time on same issue, and they called each other using my phone and said, no it sounds fine. When I explained, NO, it does not, I have left myself voice mail using it, so know how I sound on the other end and it was muffled, not to mention 75% of everyone I talk to on it complains .. I'm sure the other 25% just deal with it. All they did is recommend I hold it out from my head in the odd position. Right! I pay $300.00 and sign a 2 yr extend service contract for a phone that I can only hold it a position that gives you a cramp in the neck, and then just hope the person on the other end can hear me. Hmmm, I don't think so.

To be fair, it was late in the day and the reps just wanted to close up the store, suggested I trade it in and pay a restocking fee to boot .... WHAT!?! I'm still within my 30 days of contract, I can just terminate and return phone at this point and go back to my old phone (old and out of date slider phone that sounds perfect on other end) or change carries. I don't want to come down hard on Sprint, because outside of a few flaky in store reps, their customer service has been great, and I never had issues with any of my other phones over the last 7 years that I've been with them. BUT, it does them no favors to act like there are no problems, and act shocked like I'm the first person ever to complain about it. The tracking ball issue alone is a know problem, and I have that issue as well by the way. I'm just so very disappointed in the Tour and by Sprints response or lack of. The Tour has so many great options, but not worth it if my clients can't hear me on the other end. I'm a Realtor, and I can honestly say it is causing me to lose some business. My hope was that it would be corrected and all would be fine, but I do not see any hope for that here or anywhere else I have checked for updates to the issues. Smiley Sad

If anyone has heard of any news/updates on the matter please post. Thanks

Message Edited by jillokie on 09-18-2009 11:34 PM
Message Edited by jillokie on 09-18-2009 11:36 PM
Message Edited by jillokie on 09-18-2009 11:38 PM
New Contributor

For anyone on Verizon, have you tried the new 4.7.1.53 upgraded version of the BB OS.  I was just wondering what, if any, improvement people may have noticed.  I upgraded last night and did notice somewhat of an improvement, still not perfect but it appears to have made some difference.  I am waiting for my replacement Tour, due early next week, and am hoping it comes with 53 already on it and it completely solves this problem.  Just wanted to see if anyone else who has updated has noticed any difference with the outgoing voice.

Nope, still doesn't fix it.  This blackberry has been one of the worst electronic purchases I've made.  I bought three of them in July and all three sound terrible. 
New Contributor

Well I've only had my Tour for about two weeks.  Bought it from Best Buy.  I am getting the same muffled compliants.  Really starting to tick me off.  I tried to trick of adjusting the enhanced audio, no noticable change.  Then I tried holding the phone in different postions and leaving myself voicemails.  Only good quality msg I left was with me cupping the bottom of the phone with my palm.  It sucks to hold the phone in that position. 

It seems like this has been going on since day one of the phone launch. I came to Verizon because of this phone.  Now I am debating if I want to hang out and see if they find a fix.  Return it and try another Tour (which doesn't seem to be helping).  Return it and get different phone with Verizon, or just cancel my Verizon since I am within my 30 days.

Suggestions?

New Contributor

I did a call quality test with my friend's Blackberry Pearl 8130 which she has had for almost two years. She sounds great on her phone, but my voice comes across without the crystal clear high-end. It's as if the sound being sent out of my phone has had all the treble turned down (in stereophile terms). It would appear the Pearl 8130 makes a superior phone call over the Tour 9630. Sadly, I must now return the Tour 9630. It seems the 9630 has poor outgoing sound, plus I now also realize the unit does not have Wi-Fi. I assumed it did since most other phones these days do. Isn't Wi-Fi a standard now? Good thing I found this forum. Thank you.
Contributor

I have had 3 Tour 9630 with the "muffled sound" issue.  I found a quick fix, although rediculous, I tested this and it works.  You MUST hold the Tour on the BOTTOM half on the phone.  Verizon techies have confirmed an antenna issue with this phone. When holding the phone on the bottom half during calls, sound quality heard by others is remarkably improved.  Obviously this is a design flaw with this phone and I doubt whether a software update will fix the problem.  This worked for me.  Give it a try...and quite easy to get use to, if you want to keep the phone, because all the other features are great except for voice quality during calls. It is not a microphone issue, or the hole is too small, etc, etc.  Try doing a voice record, no matter where you hold the phone...perfect sound quality.
Contributor

I will confirm that the update .53 did make small improvement. But its still sub-par for a blackberry phone. The audio,speakerphone and Bluetooth also isnt as nearly as clear and loud as the BOLD. The BOLD and the older BB phones (ie 8700,8830) are the gold standard.

I hope this degraded audio quality is not the new norm for all bb phones. The only other bb phone with poor audio is the BB storm.

Im likely gonna return this phone. for now ive lost the faith and revert back to ATT with my bold.

New Contributor

Sadly, I returned my BlackBerry Tour 9630 to Best Buy today. The call quality was bad. Strangely the device didn't have Wi-Fi, but Verizon does have Wi-Fi in one of their Windows phones. I find this a very odd state of affairs. I figured Wi-Fi was a given these days due to the industry leading iPhone. Why isn't Verizon trying to compete with AT&T? Time to beat the iPhone, right? And no tethering--Verizon wanted to charge me additional money to tether the BlackBerry to my laptop. On a positive note, I'm back on the greatest cell phone of all time--my good old LG VX8100.