Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 9630 Tour Muffled Sound?

There are too many rumors flying around about this phone (9630).  Green Dot, new firmware, etc., etc.  There have been folks who have the same problems with or without the "green dot".  And whether it's made in  Mexico or Canada.  Most of this is useless. If you call 3 different Verizon stores, you will get 3 different answers. Until Verizon officially makes a change with this phone (software update or actual admitted hardware problems, many suggestions are hearsay and end up being frustrating when they don't work.  My Tour is from Mexico, no green dot and it works fine now. (after 3 phones!).  So, you can see nothing seems to be consistent.  I just think Blackberry is making a big  mistake not reacting fast enough to seriously address these problems!  Unfortunately, for business, there isn't a service that works as well, for now.
New Contributor

I have tried all the sound adjustments possible, and no help. For those of you who are content with the cupped position all the time, wonderful. But this is my personal and business phone; I’m on it all day. Having to master hand positioning all day long is not acceptable.

I’m thinking seriously about getting one of the new HTC (anyone have experience with them?), but I would so much rather my BB Tour WORK! I don't understand why BB has not made a comment on this muffled sound issue. Are they really just going to ignore such a big deal? I have heard up to 50% of BB Tours are being returned to Sprint. I’m not sure if that is true, but would not surprise me at all.

Blackberry, just please fix the darn thing!!! I would think any good business would make it right for their customers.

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

kendallrt wrote:
There are too many rumors flying around about this phone (9630).  Green Dot, new firmware, etc., etc.  There have been folks who have the same problems with or without the "green dot".  And whether it's made in  Mexico or Canada.  Most of this is useless. If you call 3 different Verizon stores, you will get 3 different answers. Until Verizon officially makes a change with this phone (software update or actual admitted hardware problems, many suggestions are hearsay and end up being frustrating when they don't work.  My Tour is from Mexico, no green dot and it works fine now. (after 3 phones!).  So, you can see nothing seems to be consistent.  I just think Blackberry is making a big  mistake not reacting fast enough to seriously address these problems!  Unfortunately, for business, there isn't a service that works as well, for now.

Kendall, it really isn't a software/firmware issue but a hardware issue. And the "green dot" deal really isn't a rumor. Of course, you can call three different VZW stores and probably get 10 different answers.

What's the manufacture date on your working device?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I appreciate your response, but no one has officially said what the problem is.  There is NO official statement from BB or Verizon.   Well, until I mentioned the "green dot" issue to the tech's at Verizon, they knew nothing about it!  So, I really have no confidence from the Verizon stores I have dealt with. They have all been helpful and polite, but really no answers.  Only, try this, try that, etc.  I believe my mfg date was Aug. 10.
Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

My guess is that you won't see any thing official from either... did you ever happen to read any of the whole controversy surround Verizon's blocking of the GPS on all their BlackBerrys for two years, or the past year's problems with the Storm 9530... never an "official" response.

So, we do what we can do. Return and get new devices or an entirely different maker altogether.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks for info, but at this time I am going to stay with what I have.  I am tired of changing phones (4 times).  I may switch back to AT&T and go with the new  9700.  Boy Genius gave it an amazing review.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/09/21/blackberry-9700-review-part-1/

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630, OS 4.7.1.40,Verizon

Well, for what ever this is worth, I have a Tour with a production date of July 27 and it seems to work ok (for now?). The only complaint/issue I currently have is poor outbound sound quality with my bluetooth headset. Handset quality seems to be fine as does the inbound sound quality w/ the bluetooth. I have left myself voicemails and and have conversations with many folks on different carriers with no feedback about muffled sound. My bluetooth seemed to work ok before I switched phones, so I still am not sure if it's the phone or the bluetooth.   
New Contributor

jillokie wrote:  I’m thinking seriously about getting one of the new HTC (anyone have experience with them?)

Yes, I've have the Sprint Mogul and it's a good phone.  I've also used the new Touch Pro and it's just like the Mogul, but it has better screen resolution and it's smaller.  Both have windows, so you're going to have the usual problems with unapproved 3rd party applications.  Needs the occational soft boot (30 seconds).  But it's pretty reliable for both email, web, and phone.  The audio quality is excellent!

New Contributor

Same problem - everyone asks what is wrong with my phone.  I tell them it is the new Tour and it is on full volume!!  Curve had way better sound
Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update 9/29/2009....

Since my last post, I have resolved the following issues:  

Everytime I connect my BB to the computer with BB Desktop Manager, several updates appeared.  Turns out, BB Desktop Manager 5.0 without Media Manager works just fine with Vista (64 bit).  Took a few calls to RIM and my providers tech support to find this out.  I was told there is a know problem/conflict with Vista 64 bit OS and the BB Desktop Manager w/Media Manager.  

The following issues continue to present a challenge: 

I I have reinstalled the BB OS twice now.  Apparently RIM feels this may resolve the muffled sound issue.  Sorry RIM, I hope the third time is a charm!  

The sound quality of the voice note recording WAS remarkably good.  Now, it's just as bad.  

The muffled sound of the Plantronics Voyager Pro, still sounds like everyone is Charlie Brown's teacher.  This is a new headset (exchanged a month ago) and paired it with a friends phone (Palm) and the outgoing and incoming sound quality is fine.  

I'm continuing my quest to get an answer from BB or a fix to resolve this crappy sounding phone. 

Message Edited by cmenow on 09-29-2009 10:58 PM