Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Rubber skin update

Hey i found out something about using the skin, apparently it doesnt make a difference but if you avoid touching the top half of the phone when its on your shoulder it doesnt interfere with the reception/sound quality. Still doesnt really sound good though unless you cup the bottom of the phone while talking. Must just be the design. I wonder if the curve sounds better?

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 9630 Tour Muffled Sound?

I suggest that you try installing the update/upgrade to version 4.7.1.61 that is now available on the Blackberry and Verizon web sites.  I did it and in my opinion the muffled sound problem that I was having when I used the Tour in the "normal" position (phone against my face) has been almost completely eliminated.  I've done a couple of tests using voice mail and also the voice notes recorder on the Tour and, to me the voice quality of the two positions is almost the same, although I think my voice sounds slightly better used the "cupped hand position."   Previously, there was a huge difference -- when I held the phone against my face the outgoing sound was muffled and couldn't easily be understood.

I should also note that the update does take a while to install and, although I didn't have any problems installing it, there are several posts on this forum from folks who did.

New Contributor

Re: 9630 Tour Muffled Sound? Problem solved

[ Edited ]

Thank you mmm208 for your posted solution to make the microphone more clear.  Do you have any idea why this works?

Send me your paypal address and I'll send you a donation for your discovery.

Thanks again,

weroiu

Here is the solution posted by mmm208:

I think i may have Solved the poor Audio Issues that are plauging thousands of blackberry tours !! Im so Excited!

I just did a full handheld wipe and it SOLVED all audio issues. People now say i sound perfect on both regular audio and speakerphone!

Before no one could here me and it was unsuable!

Here are the simple instructions for a Handheld Wipe:

1) Backup your Tour using Blackberry Desktop Manager software Application.

2) Then goto: Options, Security Options, General Settings, Then hit the Blackberry Key and choose "Wipe Handheld". It should take about 8-9 minutes but i can tell you that it works and its worth it the wait. I have a new phone.

I would like everyone to post there results here.

New Contributor

Update the software through going to options, then advanced then wireless updates. Sound, track ball freezes, browser freezes and the plantronics pro blue tooth now works! Here is the software version after update BlackBerry® 9630 smartphone (3G, CDMA) v4.7.1.61 (Platform 4.1.0.81) Hope this works for yo guys!u.
New Contributor

This upgrade is not available for Sprint users. Latest available update is v4.7.1.57 (platform 4.1.0.70)

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: 9630 Tour Muffled Sound?

I dont have verizon i have uscellular. Do you think i can use the version your talking about?? 4.7.1.61??? Us cellular only offers the .53 version. Thanks