Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9700 & 9900
My Carrier: Zain
Accepted Solution

9700 -> 9900 device transfer, no BBM history ?

After doing device switch i checked BBM history for my contacts non of them has the history on the old device

and Yes i moved the old SD card because my new 9900 didn't come with one in the box

do i need to somehow copy the SDcard content to the internal memory for them to show? 

Bashar Al-Abdulhadi
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 9700 -> 9900 device transfer, no BBM history ?

History as in the chat history with each individual contact?

No, that does not transfer over.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

why not?

i placed the SD card into the 9900, thing is how to make it read things from there?

now when i go to 9700 and try to view history nothing is there which confirms the data is on the SD card

maybe bcuz the PIN is different? i have to rename some folder on the SDcard?
Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Because BBMessenger does not read the media card to create the BBM chat conversations.

You can SAVE (i.e., archive) your BBM chat logs to the media card, but the device does not use those as a backup or system file from which to restore the chats,.. it's purely for your own personal use, not for the device.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

says who? it seems you are mistaken sir

i went to /media/3539-3461/BlackBerry/im/BlackBerry Messenger/xxxxxxxx/history and copied it all to /media/3539-3461/BlackBerry/im/BlackBerry Messenger/yyyyyyyyyy/history where xxxxxxxxx is the old PIN and yyyyyyyyyy is the new PIN, restated blackberry (hard reset battery remove) and after restart all history is back again

the only thing is my old name shows as my old PIN in the history, if u wanted to change that i could do find and replace in the csv files inside the folder history too

Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

KuwaitNET wrote:

Hey, I love to be mistaken... glad you took the time to find and fix it, and repost here the solution.

Thanks... now we know!

Knowledge Base Updates
Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

KuwaitNET wrote:

i went to /media/3539-3461/BlackBerry/im/BlackBerry Messenger/xxxxxxxx/history and copied it all to /media/3539-3461/BlackBerry/im/BlackBerry Messenger/yyyyyyyyyy/history where xxxxxxxxx is the old PIN and yyyyyyyyyy is the new PIN, restated blackberry (hard reset battery remove) and after restart all history is back again

the only thing is my old name shows as my old PIN in the history, if u wanted to change that i could do find and replace in the csv files inside the folder history too

I have been scouring the internet for the answer to this question....I have a new BB and have successfully transferred everything including apps and BBM contacts using desktop manager "switch device". I always had my BB set to save history to media card. I even went to my files and created a file with a .con extension. I can't open it on my computer or on my new BB. I am now trying a restore from the last backup from my old device to see if that will work when I came across this post. Unfortunately, I don't quite understand how to do what you say! When you say you went to media/3539 etc....can you be more specific? You did this on the new device? The old device? On your computer? I'm at a loss. Can you dumb it down a little for a dum dum? Thanks!

Contributor

I mounted the SDcard on linux thats why it shows as /media/xxxx-xxxx , on windows you should jsut go to the mounted drive where you go to the folder and follow the path after the /media/xxxx-xxxx/ by clicking on the folder BlackBerry then im then proceed

on ubuntu linux i can edit any file using text editor, you can try openign files using notepad (i think it'll look very unreadable) or install better editor, i think notepad2 or notepad+ something like that. If you are a bit advanced you can install vim for windows its the best editor but hard to use unless you know vi editor usage Smiley Happy

Bashar Al-Abdulhadi
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: orange

Thank you so much for posting this. i've searched tons of sites and found no solution. I've tried to do what you said but it's not working for me. I have a windows laptop. i copied the chat from my old pin and paste it in the new one, but nothing showing maybe i did it wrong.
Can you please help me! Explain it step by step for a newbie :-) Thanks for all your help
Contributor

being no windows user i'm not sure if you can mount the device as a disk then copy things as i mentioned earlier

but give it a try if you connect your device to windows do you see it as flash memroy drive with the folders i mentioned earlier? i.e BlackBerry/im/BlackBerry Messenger/xxxxxxxx/history where xxxxxxxx is your PIN ?

Bashar Al-Abdulhadi