Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9780

Re: 9780 OS Operating Slowly/Double letters

This is very interesting. I know for the fact that more of the Mexico built devices were the ones which got affected, but in fact my uncle's Hungary-made one also developed this problem after a few months of use. I guess this is more of the supplier issue eventually.

But again I do agree with you that RIM fails big time with keeping their customers happy. In fact I have gradually converted to iPhone now.

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: unlocked

Hi. New to blackberry here.  Bought a used 9780 from amazon unlocked.  It does the same double, triple typing.  I don't have a warranty on the phone, and got it fairly cheap, so I found an easy albeit temporary fix:

1) buy a can of fast evaporating contact cleaner (ask any electronics or auto parts dealer).

2) remove the battery on your 9780

3) spray liberally with the contact cleaner near the keyboard areas on both sides.

4) shake excess off

5) excersise each key several times.  NOTE: the cleaner will make the keys not spring back.  Push and gently pull each several times.

6)shake excess cleaner off and excersise keys again.

7) WAIT 20  minutes for remainder to evaporate... NOTE: the cleaner will make the keys appear loose. as the cleaner dries, the keys will tighten back to the pad.

8) reinsert battery, power up, enjoy..... for about 2 weeks... then repeat Smiley Happy the issue is a bad seal between the membrane/keys . Dirt and/or skin oils penetrate and cause the problem...

I'm tempted to thoroughly clean again (done twice so far) and put a layer of plastic wrap around the keyboard area to prevent contamination.  If I do it carefully, with the Otterbox, it might last Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Contributor
My Carrier: rogers

I believe this issue has already been resolved awhile ago. Just update your os to a more current one. I'm running on .650 and the double typing issue has been long gone. No need to take your phone apart or spray anything.
New Contributor
My Carrier: unlocked

okSmiley Happy I have 6.0 bundle 1879 (v6.0.0.448)  platform 6.5.0.136.   How do I update it ? when I sync to blackberry there are no updates... sorry if I ask a stupid question...