Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

9780 how do I know if backup successful

Hello can anyone help a non-tech person?   Have tried to upgrade 2 year old 9780 to OS 6 using desktop software - result is my device stops at end of reboot screen then shows app200 error.   have followed advice on this forum but am scared to go past the choice on the desktop screen which offers repair option which would result in the loss of all data from device and this would be a disaster for me if it is not backed up.   i had opted to back up at start of process but now have no idea if it has been done and what if anything I will be able to retrieve if I go ahead with the 'repair' option at that stage.   At the moment i just have a frozen device and have lost a day of my life trying to sort this out and worrying myself witless.    (Savvy son has left home, am trying to do these things on my own...with little success!)

WOuld be so grateful for any advice

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 9780 how do I know if backup successful

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

To validate if the backup was taken, look on your computer for files with IPD or BBB extension (it varies depending on the version of the Desktop Software you used). If you find any with date/time stamps that are around when they would have been taken, then you can be relatively (not positively) assured that the backup was successful. The only way to be positively assured is to perform a restore using that file as the data source...of course, that means having another BB or continuing on with your present device.

AppError200 usually means, btw, that your data is already gone from your device...so hopefully that backup was indeed successful.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: o2

Thank you so much for replying and giving advice - it was kind of you. The phone was wiped and could not be restored as it was already suffering various issues I am afraid I have taken the plunge and changed to an iphone. I loved my previous Blackberry Bold, but have struggled a bit with this 9780 which was sluggish and not so intuitive as my previous model. AM sorry to leave Blackberry and am not convinced I will totally get on with the iPhone but I am embarking on a new adventure with an open mind! Thanks so much for your help.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are most welcome.

I always hold that the reason there is a plethora of choice in our free market is due to the wide range of individual needs, desires, and tolerance levels. There is no "right" or "wrong" choice for anyone to make...only a choice that best matches their own personal set of those.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................