Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Telus

9790 no sound on outgoing and incoming calls

Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a 9790 from Telus and I have noticed that it is randomly losing sound on outgoing and incoming calls. With outgoing calls it dials out fine and connects to who I am calling but I don't hear the ringing when the call goes out and I can't hear the person on the other end when it connects. When I receive a call I hear my ringtone but when I answer it I can't hear the person on the other end.The only way I can talk to someone when it is acting like this is to switch from headset mode to speaker.

I played around with my phone and sound but could not find a fix. The only thing that works is a battery pull but even that is only temporary. So far the longest I can go is two days before I have to do another pull.

Any ideas on what could be wrong or should I just take the phone back and get a new one? I've heard this is actually an issue with the 9790 so I am a bit worried about replacing it when it could happen again.

Thanks

My Device: 9790
My Carrier: smart

Re: 9790 no sound on outgoing and incoming calls

Got the same issue too, bb support please help us
New Contributor
My Carrier: Axis

I have the same issue too. Maybe it's just the defect of Bold 9790.

My Carrier: O2

Same problem for me....battery pull is a short time fix - phone only 4 weeks old

My Device: 9790
My Carrier: kpn

[ Edited ]

Battery pull, uninstalling every app I downloaded and rebooting several times and cleaning out the headphone plug point  did absolutely nothing.

Only way I can hear anything on my phone is to use the headphones or speaker.

Phone is less than 4 months old.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm sad to hear of the dilemma being faced by these users.  Smiley Sad

Traditionally, the best fix for a phone acting up is the trusted battery pull, where you remove the battery while the phone is powered on then replace it.  This clears out the cache and gets rid of a lot of junk that could be hindering the operation of the phone.  Many of you have tried that to no avail.

The next step I usually recommend is to reinstall the OS to the phone.  Over time, many factors can affect the OS and putting a new OS in (or reinstalling the existing one) often irons out these problems.  Many of you have also tried that to no avail.

If a user ever finds himself/herself at this point, I usually recommend returning the phone to your carrier.  If it's anything that can't be resolved by the first two solutions, it's usually a serious defect that needs to be addressed by your carrier through warranty work.  Obviously, if your phone is older than one year old and is out of warranty, this might not be the best option.  You would probably want to look into getting another phone, perhaps second-hand.

I might not have offered a viable solution but hopefully I've shed some light on appropriate steps to take in the future.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

I've seen similar issues come up with specific OS versions. Try using the speakerphone. Does that resolve the issue for that phone call? Also, what OS version are you all running? To get this information, go to Options > Device > About Device Versions. Its the number listed after the v (eg. 7.1.0.267). Post that info back here and I'll see what else I can find, or if there is an OS update that may help.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

This issue cropped up for me today, I have had my phone for a few months. Speakerphone still works, as do the ear buds.

There is a similar thread here:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/Bold-9790-Ear-Speaker-Not-Working/m-p/1783513...

However there is little more useful information there, other than that the problem may be transient.

I am using: 9790, v7.1.0.523
New Contributor

After a COMPLETE recharge (which took suspiciously long...) the speaker started working again, no idea why but not much bothered.

Steps I took:
Restore from backup
Battery pull
Complete recharge.
Cheers,
-Matt
My Carrier: Bell

I have the same problem. I got my 9790 in August and this problem started about 2 months later.

I am running 7.1 Bundle 1647 (v7.1.0.523, Platform 9.16.0.128)

If it is this many of us, it sounds like it's a phone defect...