08-17-2010 08:02 PM - edited 08-17-2010 11:21 PM
Considering its a brand new OS, there are bound to be bugs and glitches unfound. I'm suprised i didn't see a thread like this, and i'm probably in the wrong place, so if i am, please send me to this thread.
If that's not the case, it would be convenient for everone to post bugs and glitches they find here.
- Random freezeups, however if i type during the freezeup, the device still recognizes the text after the freezeup (do not see hourglass)
- Can't seem to delete BBM contacts
- When scrolling through email or texts, the device scrolls slower than the pace of my finger, as in my finger outpaces the scrolling of the screen if that makes sence; if you do it you'll know what i mean.
Also, the OS feels all-around..unfinished and rushed. It isn't as smooth as it should be, the browser could definatly be optimized more (webkit based browser on an Aria with a 600mhz cpu shouldnt be THAT much better) as well as the OS itself, mainly the homescreen. Tapping on the icon bar brings it up extremly smooth, but it is slightly choppy while scrolling and a noticable delay when swiping screens. Like i said i'm not trying to flame, but rather give RIM some ideas for polish because the best people to test the device and complain are us, the consumers.
08-17-2010 09:39 PM
Blackberry Maps does not work all the way it used on my 9700. When I search for a business location nothing happens and no results. As a workaround, I have used the universal search and then select google search to get to the business listing I want and then it opens in the maps so that I can get directions. Pretty annoying...this should have been tested.
08-28-2010 03:15 PM - edited 08-28-2010 03:17 PM
Creating contact-specific message notifier tones requires that you enter the complete phone number, without dashes. I'd been having an awful time trying to assign different SMS tones for each of my family members. No matter what I did, the generic profile SMS tone would sound. Elsewhere on this forum (I think), somebody mentioned that you should enter the full phone number (including 1 and area code) and leave out dashes. That did the trick, but it almost made me throw my phone against the wall when it did work.
**bleep** (RIM won't let me use my real name, even when I registered)
08-28-2010 10:04 PM
Anyone else have problems with connected device to computer?
Running Win7 64 and when i hook it up all it does is make that sound windows makes when u plug and unplur a device, Blackberry Deasktop manager never connects to device.
09-03-2010 02:49 AM
09-07-2010 04:29 PM
I was also looking for a place to describe bugs. Here are my issues so far:
- Top Lock button: Does not lock the device but just turn off the screen. (Password should be required if enabled)
- When deleting contacts: Screen doesnt refresh
- When email is deleted locally and remotelly, if email was removed remotelly it deletes other emails instead.
- OS 6 doesnt fully wake up fast (After lock)
09-09-2010 05:53 PM
This phone has so many problems with it.
1 the phone frezzes when reciveing messages and you have to wait 30 sec for it to come back. also when you take it out of the holster the screen is one way and you put it up on end it takes for ever to change to make the screen the right way. also it does get behid when typeing and naving the phone.
2 when you opean a text message thats new or when you take it out of the holster when you get a new text message it opeans to the middle of the conversation that you have had with that person sence you got the phone. i have deleted all the old messages but they still show on on there and its annoying to have to scroll down a long way to get to read the new message.
3. sometimes you get a new message and read it it stays on the notafcations as a new message and wont go way for hours, most of the time it happens with emails but i have had it happen withbut i get more emails than text messages
4 the speakers has a wieard sound when you are talking some times and some times it doesnt.
5. when opeaning the slider there nothing really for your finger to catch on to slide the slider up and you end up hitting buttions.
6. when you try to put the phone in the holster it eage of the holster get cought between the silder and phone
7. this only happend once or twice but trying to do something online wouldnt let me go anywhere or update weather or nothing. The phone said it had 3g but it wouldnt go anywhere. Would make phone calls and send text messages. restarted the phone and it would work for a few mins then it would stop agian
But i do love the idea of the phone othere than the problems i listed above i love the phone. But it needs a tune up bad. i dont want to take it back and get one that has more problems with it haha so im leaveing with these hoppeing theyll have an upgrade comeing out soon.
09-11-2010 10:30 AM
- Device doesnt password protect when holstered even if option is checked.
- Camera randomly stops functioning. It gives a device memory RAM full error which only goes away after several retries.
11-30-2010 06:03 PM - edited 11-30-2010 06:07 PM
Can see a bunch of the items above have been fixed with the 695 bundle. However there are still a few niggles at least for the enterprise power user. Rather than raising a formal case I'll start by dropping them in here and see if anyone acknowledges them (should I hold my breath?):
- Opening BB Messenger is slow, and so is opening a contact within BBM. Perhaps caused by the app trying to stitch together the existing conversation, but the app doesn't seem much different to the version I used on say the 9700 and that had no delay. Any text you type during the pause does normally make it into the convo, but the delay is off-putting and makes it seem like the screen-touch to open the app or contact didn't work.
- The track pad seems to have a lower CPU priority than the screen touch. After I had a few thousand messages on the unit (I have about 25,000 at any point in time) the screen updates doesn't follow track pad movements anywhere near as quickly as touching the screen. It is a good benefit of the 9800 (over say the Storm) that we have the traditional interfaces (ie don't have to use the screen) but it isn't great that the track pad seems slow or de-prioritised.
- It is too easy to accidentally interact via the screen. If the unit isn't password locked (and if you are using it a lot, most of the time you are just screen locking it) then sliding the screen up unlocks it (see suggestion below for disabling this) and you normally slide the screen up using your fingers ON the screen (cos there isn't much else to get a purchase on to do this) and often you send a command accidentally by doing this (eg turn off the flippin radio!). My suggestion is that you have an option to NOT disable the screen/keyboard lock just by sliding the screen up. Slide the screen up then interact with it to unlock it (eg Apple's on-screen slider to unlock - sorry, but this works better in practice).
- The screen/keyboard lock button on the top edge is too exposed and too sensitive. The unit constantly unlocks itself in my pocket or in the car just by its own weight (which is of course 30% more than the 9700 in the same form factor)
- On the same theme, in summary of the above two points, if you added an option to require the user to do something on the screen when unlocking either by the button or by sliding up the screen, that would address both points. This interaction would be some simple movement that you can do with one hand while the screen is closed, not something that required typing a password. We can sort of already do the password thing using the password lock, except that we no longer have the left convenience key to easily force the password lock (yes, the on-screen lock icon is OK but not quite the same) and it required you to interact with the small on-screen keyboard or physical keyboard to unlock, which isn't easy with one hand and/or when busy doing something else.
- It would be great to have an option to turn the screen interaction off altogether. Why not? Would remove one complaint from people who just can't get on with it, and stop them from doing things accidentally, which is infuriating for pretty much anyone coming from a "no-nonsense" BB background.
- The physical buttons on the screen section (green, menu, escape, red) have a cheap feeling action on some units (and not on others). Mine feels like it has sticky plastic under it so it sounds and feels unpositive when you use it (about 1000 times a day). Others I have tried don't do this, so perhaps some QC or materials problems that have been addressed already.
- The unit sometimes pauses and can take 20-30s to respond, at which point it executes all the commands you entered whilst it was paused (which can give odd results).
- You can't choose to have messages on one line like you could in all past units (not sure about Storm). You are forced to have the sender and subject on two different lines, which means less messages per page. Why?
- All of the main three tones that I used for many devices up to and including the 9700 are not available on the 9800 and I can't find anywhere easy to download them. That is, the Ringer_ClassicPhone, Notifier_Sonar, and BBPro_Link. Why not carry them over??
- This is (even) more of a feature request: The universal search is great, but it would be even better if we could save a shortcut to "Search, By Sender" and "Search, By Subject". It is one click too fiddly to do this via the screen menu, and the track pad is slightly latent, as above.
- When I go to http://m.google.com for example I get stranger coloured squares in place of actual fonts. I can't see an option for emulating a different browser (Blackberry, versus Internet, etc) or any other explanation for this. Never seen it in versions before this on either.
- Well-known bug with Favorites losing the Text Messages and BBM icons after you mark them as favs.
All in all as someone who processes a good part of 800 mails per day on my BB, and having used almost every type of unit over 8 years, I'm JUST happy enough with the 9800 experience to not revert back to the 9700 just yet. OS v6 is a lot more stable than v5 was when it first came out. But I'm hoping for some of the improvements as above asap so I don't get wound up and have to revert. The 9800 is the right design, and with a few tweaks it can be ideal. Sorry for this blog-like posting. Just throwing it out there in case someone is listening and in case it helps someone else.
11-30-2010 06:04 PM - edited 11-30-2010 06:32 PM
- The "reply", "reply-all" and "forward" icons on the screen are too easy to touch accidentally when you have a message open and are trying to use the track pad.