Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

9800 Media Card Problems

I have a Torch 9800, Rogers Wireless is my carrier. I'm on a bb data plan.  I have had the phone for 16 months and I bought it new.

Last week I unplugged my phone from my PC (had it connected for charging) and a message popped up saying that the media card could not be accessed due to fatal errors.

All of my pictures were wiped. Now when I take pictures, my phone is automatically saving them into the built in memory as opposed to on to the media card... which is fine except I don't want to use up all of the phones internal memory with pictures...

I tried formattign the card in the phone and got "format failed" I tried to repair card and got "repair failed" I even tried "install card" and got "install failed."

I tried to plug the card into my card reader and use my pc to format it but either the card reader is broken or the card is because my computer didn't recognize that I had plugged anything in...

I did a hard reset, even taking the card out and reinserting it after the phone booted up.

Are there any fixes I haven't tried save for going out and buying a new micro sd?  I suppose that's my only logical next step unless someone else has had this same problem and fixed using a method I haven't tried.

Thanks in advance.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 9800 Media Card Problems

Hello...and apologies for the delay!

Hopefully you have already resolved this, but just in case...

I think your next step is exactly as you indicated. The key to all tests is something called "known good". You need to plug that card into a known good card reader to determine if the card itself is bad. You need to have a different known good card to test your BB itself to determine if it's the BB card reader that has gone bad. When you take into account the "known good" aspect, you are better able to narrow down to the true root cause of the situation.

So, for instance, in your situation, you need to otherwise validate that your card reader on your computer is good before you can determine that the card from your BB itself is actually bad. You would do that with a different yet identical card, one that you know in other readers works just fine...if it also works in your card reader, then you know with adequate certainty that the card from your BB is bad.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................