Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Telus

9800 browser will not allow internet browsing while connect to a wifi hotspot in US with data on and data roaming off.

[ Edited ]

I have searched for the past 3 hours looking for the solution to my problem.

The problem: 9800 browser will not allow internet browsing while connect to a wifi hotspot in US with data on and data roaming off.

My status and phone setup:

I use telus as my provider.

OS Version 6.0 (3G, Wi-Fi) v6.0.0.448

Traveled to WA from BC, Canada for holidays

AT&T wifi at a Starbuck in WA connects to phone (router addresses it an ip) but browser does not function.

Data is on

Data roaming is off.  (This is so I do not get charged while visiting in the US)

Only have a text plan for US Travel

Links searched or provided by other users, google or other sites but do not provide a solution:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-first-steps-how-setup-wi-fi-os6

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-torch-9800-f209/wifi-connected-but-no-internet-615436/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-torch-9800-f209/wifi-connected-but-no-internet-615436/

I understand the 9800 browser does not let you manually set the browser to HOTSPOT and it is supposed to do this automatically.

I am not an enterprise user or use this phone for business. Not extra networks, VPNs or business related settings have been modified.

Also, I understand other users are having this problem with their 9800 phones, either while traveling or away from home in their own country. I would like this post to bring a close and provide a final solution. 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: 9800 browser will not allow internet browsing while connect to a wifi hotspot in US with data on and data roaming off.

Onihonker wrote:

I have searched for the past 3 hours looking for the solution to my problem.

The problem: 9800 browser will not allow internet browsing while connect to a wifi hotspot in US with data on and data roaming off.

My status and phone setup:

I use telus as my provider.

OS Version 6.0 (3G, Wi-Fi) v6.0.0.448

Traveled to WA from BC, Canada for holidays

AT&T wifi at a Starbuck in WA connects to phone (router addresses it an ip) but browser does not function.

Data is on

Data roaming is off.  (This is so I do not get charged while visiting in the US)

Only have a text plan for US Travel

Links searched or provided by other users, google or other sites but do not provide a solution:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-first-steps-how-setup-wi-fi-os6

I understand the 9800 browser does not let you manually set the browser to HOTSPOT and it is supposed to do this automatically.

I am not an enterprise user or use this phone for business. Not extra networks, VPNs or business related settings have been modified.

Also, I understand other users are having this problem with their 9800 phones, either while traveling or away from home in their own country. I would like this post to bring a close and provide a final solution. 

thas correct it wont work that way. turn off 3g carrier signal and enable roaming. then you can connect to wifi and surf.

then turn off roaming and enable carrier 3g after to get texts

I had similar issue with my 9700 a few years ago.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9800
My Carrier: Sun cellular

Re: 9800 browser will not allow internet browsing while connect to a wifi hotspot in US with data on and data roaming off.

Hi i tried that too but still i could not connect to internet :'(. Heres my story:
Hi, could anyone please help me. My friend gave me his blackberry 9800...I dont have any blackberry service but we have a wifi at home.. I used to have a blackberry 9220 when i am connected to wifi, i was able to use and connect to internet using its browser.. But in 9800 i cannot connect to internet even though my wifi is connected... My other devices (tablet,laptop are also connected to wifi and internet are working properly) i already wiped my bb9800 but still i could not connect to internet...
Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Some carriers allow a BlackBerry to be used on wifi without a BlackBerry data plan and some don't. I have seen it depend even on the OS version. (For instance I have a T-Mobile branded 9700. With T-Mobile OS5 I can use the browser on wifi without the SIM installed. With an early OS6, same thing. With a later OS6 it can't be done.)

There may be a way to get the 9800 browser to work on wifi without a BlackBerry data plan, perhaps with a particular selection of OS version, but I don't know.
- Ira