Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Bell

Re: 9860 - Back and BB Buttons Stop Responding

How can it be a hardware issue if (for me) holding the menu and back button bring back the function of both buttons (temporarily)?
New Contributor

The problem persisted and I had to send the phone back to Vodafone. But because it was going to take a while to fix, they just sent me a new one. So I think it's a real problem. I hope they find a quick solution cos it's such a pain.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

I hear ya, but for me that trick doesn't work all the time. Sometimes it will not work at all, no matter what I do.

Someone sent his phone back for repair and didn't get that problem anymore...

Very frustrating, since it's probably the button that we use the most.

My Device: torch 9860
My Carrier: China Unicom

Is there any solutions available to this problem now?

I got the same problem with my 9860 menu and back buttons about a week ago

It is so frustrating to have it work Smiley Sad Really need help here..

Contributor

Yeah I ended up sending my phone in for repair. Bell gave me a new phone which doesn't have the issue.
My Carrier: Swisscom

It seems most of 9860 has same issue. The bb button and Back button will stop function after using it for a while. I had same problem, too. I found a temporary solution

You can press "Back button" and hold it. Then, press "Call button" at same time, then you will find the back button function again. It works for me. Just inconvenient. Because everything you like to backwards, you need to press two button ( back and call). 

I think this is a design problem on 9860's buttom. I hope RIM could offer a perfect solution for this. Otherwise, if I go to change a new phone, the same issue might occur again soon. I hope RIM could provide us an answer and sound solution. It is a beautiful phone but gave me bad experiences.

New Contributor
My Device: BB Torch 9860
My Carrier: Orange

It is definately a hardware issue, so dont wait for new OS fixture or something. Send it for repair while you can do it under warranty.  Unfortunately blackberry doesnt have an official service in my country (Poland) and had to get it fixed privately. It turnes out this model doesnt have a separate keyboard! Those four little buttons are integrated with LCD display, so in order to get it fixed they needed to order and change the whole module. Whole thing cost me 430,-pln (approx. 110 euros) for repair, about 15 euros UPS charges plus 3 weeks at service. New sim free handset in the UK cost about 350 pounds (torch 9860), so quickly calculating, you will need to spend at arround 30% of the market value of new phone, to get your old handset fixed. My strong advice, get it repaired or replaced by your service provider while you still can! 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, replace it under warranty, do not wait. It is a hardware issue. It does not get better in time. I use to do the menu + call button trick too, but then it just drove me insane and I sent my phone in for repair. Bell sent me a new replacement.

New Contributor
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: India

I am having multiple problems with 9860 buttons.

1)  If the phone is idle for a long time ( few hours) and I open the email, the back button will not work. It may work after pressing many times. Once it start working there is no problem.

2) Same issue with menu button also.

3) When I make a call, some times I cannot disconnect the call. But if someone is calling me I can disconnect. But this is also not all time.

I hear from the forum that it can be a hardware issue but the behaviour of the button is very strange and erratic. I cannot reproduce the problem to show it to the service centre to get a replacement.

My complaint to BB is that, if many people are facing the issue, what the back berry team is doing? Why can't they inform that this is a known issue and repleacement is required.

I am so disappointed with my decision to buy this phone. This will be my last blackberry.

TSH

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Same issues with my 9850. I do have the latest OS SW update 7.1.0 Bundle 1737.

Sometimes (several times a day) no button responds.

No return button

No phone disconnect button - need to pull the battery when I need to disconnect

No menu button

Leaving the torch alone for a view minutes and it works again

Problem:

This is utmost annoying – to the point of throwing this piece of useless device from a cliff

I cannot demonstrate the problem for warranty repair since I would need to be in shop all day.

What can I / we do to get a WORKING device from Blackberry?