Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom SA

9900 Completely dead

To RIM / Blackberry or anyone who might be able to help me?

I purchased my Bold 9900 in the UK about 8 months ago and now live in South Africa. I have had zero problems with the device until last night, where the phone was just not on and did not even give off a warning that the battery was going. I tried to turn it on after taking it out of the pouch and nothing, I then tried to plug it into the charger and still nothing even after 3 hours or more charge. I then tried changing the battery and usb cable and still nothing. After doing a bit of research online I found out that this happens to these devices however I would like to know what to do next to either get it back to life or how to send it to RIM to have it fixed? Like I said I now live in SA and have no idea where to send it or who to call.... RIM/BB please help....

I have tried connecting it to the MAC and a PC however there's no connection, neither PC or MAC pick the BB up. It's like it has been killed completly and has no life in it at all. I did have an update on app world Yesterday afternoon and it rebooted no problem and was working most of the day until the evening when I picked it up to use it and it was dead. 

Any help what soever would be greatly appriciated! 

Sort this out please!!! I did pay over £400 for the device and now have nothing to work with.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 9900 Completely dead

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

If you do require service, do please understand that BlackBerry provides zero front line support to end users, including warranty...all support starts with the carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers, all who can escalate cases into BlackBerry at no charge to the end user.

So, your service path is via whatever means you were provided with when you purchased the device. If your region uses Service Centers, then you may be in luck. If not, then you likely need to send it back to your original place of purchase. But, whatever means are available to you should have been provided to you at your original time of purchase...check your documentation, or ask the seller for guidance if you cannot determine from your documentation. But, you have no free path by which to bypass your contract for warranty service.

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

There also might be some good reading here:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom SA

In the process of doing the above 4h15m process will let you know if that works... 

In the mean time I have gone to a service provider out here in South Africa (as I will not be going to the UK for some time) they are willing to send the phone off to have it checked out by RIM/Blackberry (at cost) in Johannesburgh and will take about 21 days. I will do this next if I can not come right. I would contact the provider in the UK however the phone was purchased cash from an electronic shop (dixons) and was SIM FREE so there is no service provider that the phone is with. With a bit of luck the issue will resolve once I have done the 4h15m process. 

Watch this space...

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

To clarify:

jay911 wrote:

I would contact the provider in the UK however the phone was purchased cash from an electronic shop (dixons) and was SIM FREE so there is no service provider that the phone is with.

Device-level warranty is provided by the actual reseller of the device, which is not necessarily the mobile service provider. So technically it would be Dixons who holds your warranty service responsibility, not any carrier in the UK.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................