Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BB Bold 9900 7.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

9900 headphone detection problem - rapidly switches between headphone and handset on calls and media.

This topic has cropped up a couple of time, especially on older BlackBerry models. I experienced it with a 9700 a couple of years ago.

When headphones are inserted for media or phone calls, the handset rapidly switches between headphone and handset audio output. The phone is a *brand new* replacement for a handset on which the USB charging socket failed within only three months; a pretty awful quality control issue considering handsets are meant to last for two years these days, that being the minimum contract you can aquire them on.

Thus far, I have:

1) Reset the phone with a battery pull.

2) Blown out the headphone socket with compressed air.

3) Uninstalled all BlackBerry official Beta (BBM, Navigator, Twitter)

4) Security wipe, to remove all changes I have made to the handset and all third-party applications, returning it to the condition in which it was supplied.

5) Flashed the handset and installed the most recent 7.1 release I could find, from Vodafone DE.

As these haven't made any difference, I am going to put the original firmware back onto the handset and return it to Telefonica O2 UK, after only one day of having it. I am dreading the 14-21 day wait for a replacement, as last time they refused to give me a loan handset.

If there is anything else I should try before I take it back to the store, I would be grateful for any advice.

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: t mobile

Re: 9900 headphone detection problem - rapidly switches between headphone and handset on calls and media.

I have this exact problem. I posted it a few days ago but no one replied so I don't have any advice sorry.

I got a new one after the screen broke on my other one and I only had this one a day before I noticed it did this. I've tweeted bb help but they haven't replied yet but ill probablly just take it back in which is gonna really annoy me as insurance meesed the claim up last time so I'm gonna take it to the carphone warehouse instead.
New Contributor
My Device: BB Bold 9900 7.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

Re: 9900 headphone detection problem - rapidly switches between headphone and handset on calls and media.

I am starting to be convinced it's a hardware issue - quality control. I'm going to return it to O2, RIM/BlackBerry will almost certainly send out a replacement, but I wanted to avoid waiting two or three weeks for yet another new one. Poor show, it's such a good phone otherwise, but as ever with BlackBerrys, the build quality is a let-down.