Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

9900 message categorisation (facebook alongside emails)

hi guys, i have just got myself a 9900 and im trying to see if i can get it like my 9700...where if i get a facebook notifications or an update it always came in under the 'messages folder'

under..

messages>options>inbox management

- apart from emails and text, there is no other option, this seemed default on the 9700, and its an easier way to check updates (at a glance) without opening facebook etc...

any advice??

2nd small Q has the message store '180 days' and 'forever' been fixed with this as forever wasnt actually forever on my previous BB's

cheers

rich

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 9900 message categorisation (facebook alongside emails)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

richyrichuk wrote:

hi guys, i have just got myself a 9900 and im trying to see if i can get it like my 9700...where if i get a facebook notifications or an update it always came in under the 'messages folder'

under..

messages>options>inbox management

- apart from emails and text, there is no other option, this seemed default on the 9700, and its an easier way to check updates (at a glance) without opening facebook etc...

any advice??

Those "Inbox Management" selections are exclusions...what is available for you to select/deselect are the things that are eligible to be either included or excluded from the main Messages folder, and if excluded then a separate icon for those items is created for you. Everything else is not eligible for selecting and, therefore, cannot be excluded from the Main Messages folder (at least not via that selection). So, if your FB notifications aren't showing up, then it's likely a setting inside of the FB app options itself that is the culprit. Similar to the Phone notifications -- you select whether or not to include those in Messages via the Phone options selections, not the Messages options selections. But you cannot select, via Inbox Management, to create a separate icon for your Phone app notifications.

richyrichuk wrote:

2nd small Q has the message store '180 days' and 'forever' been fixed with this as forever wasnt actually forever on my previous BB's

I've no idea what was broken before, but it is logical to assume that, like "unlimited", there really can't be a "forever". Memory space is finite, so such things are more conceptual rather than actual. If you select, for example, 30 days, then only the last 30 days will show. But, all ("forever" and "30 days") are subject to the finite nature of available memory for storage, and will be impacted by that if it applies.

Here are some guidelines to use:

• KB02843What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14320How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14213Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

hi, thanks, and thanks for quick reply.

ok cool. so the message options basicly sections the messages either together, or sepertatly

and yeeeeeeeeeeeeees. there is the option....tyvm

within FB

under 'options' 'blackberry messages appliction'

and yes for the forever...limits of course...but its just not handy when some msgs go without warning. very annoying. i assume there is a forever option for a reason...but i've yet to find that reason lol.

cheers man!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

richyrichuk wrote:
hi, thanks, and thanks for quick reply.

ok cool. so the message options basicly sections the messages either together, or sepertatly

and yeeeeeeeeeeeeees. there is the option....tyvm

within FB

under 'options' 'blackberry messages appliction'

Excellent.

richyrichuk wrote:

and yes for the forever...limits of course...but its just not handy when some msgs go without warning. very annoying. i assume there is a forever option for a reason...but i've yet to find that reason lol.

The reason for "forever" is so that no time limit will be applied. But it is impossible to suppress the finite memory space limit, and the low memory manager will automatically activate when necessary.

The reason it's not considered catastrophic for BBs is that the message store on the BB should not be considered the "master"...rather, it should be considered an adjunct to your primary email server, which should contain all that you wish to forever retain (under whatever limits it likewise imposes, of course).

However, if the email account in question is a hosted one (e.g., @bb or @carrier), then there is of course no mail server involved, and the on-device messages database is indeed the master. Of course, I long ago ceased to see a valid reason for any of those hosted accounts (and, when one switches to BB10, one learns the EOL concerning such hosted accounts that applies to BB10).

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

i was talking about text and BBM msgs. emails are all saved on server.

but ye. ok fair enough, makes sense, about msgs. cheers for help..

FYI aiza i'd say u'd get more help starting ur own thread.

cheers

rich
Hall of Famer III

richyrichuk wrote:
i was talking about text and BBM msgs. emails are all saved on server.

but ye. ok fair enough, makes sense, about msgs. cheers for help..

Yup...there is no server involved for SMS and BBM, so the device(s) are the only storage location. Nevertheless, memory remains finite, and the device must defer to "self preservation" when resources run low (as the KBs I linked for you discuss).

richyrichuk wrote:

FYI aiza i'd say u'd get more help starting ur own thread.

I've asked the mods to split that post out of this thread.

Cheers!