Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Telstra

9900 microphone not working (inbound calls only)

Hi

I have a 9900 and recently upgraded to 7.1.0 (bundle 1424). Since doing do I have had significant issues with inbound calls.  Approx 50% of my inbound calls result in the caller not being able to hear me. The issue doesn't  resolve itself during the call. Sometimes I pull the battery and it resolves itself, other times the caller calls back and it works ok. It probably happens +5 times per day.

I can always hear them.

It is not a mute issues that i can see, and it doesn't matter if i use a headset, so that makes me think it is not the microphone itself. It is not a coverage issue.

This never happened before the upgrade. This does not happen to outbound calls, i.e. when i call someone, I've never had this issue. My service provider (Telstra) suggested I down grade my software. I'm not keen to do that as i enjoy the hotspot feature. I'm not technical but i feel it is some sort of memory or system failure depending on resources available.

I've searched forums but haven't seen any solutions. Any ideas / help / advice?

Cheers

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Re: 9900 microphone not working (inbound calls only)

[ Edited ]

From your description it is not a problem with the microphone. It is software related.

I have had similar issues but when using wifi calling. And a hard reset (removing the battery) corrects it.

If it is happening to you on wifi calling, try turning wifi off and use the mobile network, if possible. If that is a viable workaround, then that may be what you need to do until an OS upgrade. (You could also try other OS versions, official releases from other carriers, for your model, and see if you can find one without this issue.)

- Ira
New Contributor

Thanks very much for the view. It does not appear to be wifi related( mutually ) but software or memory resources. I've had a good week but now I'm traveling, again it plays up. Still only inbound calls. Hard reset helps but only for an hour or so. I think an OS change is required, but having to go backwards annoys me. Anyone else got a last idea before the OS change?
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telstra - Aust

Have exactly the same problem on my Bold 9900 after upgrading to the 7.1.0 (bundle 1424) with Telstra.

Any advice on changes to stop this from happening would be greatly appreciated, would like to avoid going back to 7.0.0 OS software as I also use the HotSpot feature.

Contributor
My Device: z10; playbook 64gb
My Carrier: at&t

a common problem with os7.1. builds

i'm an att subscriber in seattle wa and have notied similar problems with certain os7.1 builds. the os7.1 builds that reportedly have the fewest problems are .342/.392/.437. if you don't mind my asking, where are each of you located? thanks in advance for the information and good luck.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telstra - Aust

Telstra is an Australian based mobile carrier.

Apparently Telstra have a new version out 7.1.0.523 (bundle1646) but my device isn't picking up that there is an update available.
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

I have had the same issue with my BB 9900. It has never happened with BB 9700 that I have used for the last 2 years and have now been using on and off while the BB 9900 has been with the repairer. I have had the 9900 replaced twice in the last 2 months the new phones still have the same issue. The phones have had two different versions of software. The one I have now is going back on Monday. The Telstra business shop have given me a phone number to ring 1800841242 to register a complaint. I will see how it goes. Its frustrating when your business is run from the phone.

cheers.

Contributor
My Device: z10; playbook 64gb
My Carrier: at&t

software and network

that seems to be the issue. not sure of the particulars but it seems related, somewhat, to your service providers infrastructure and  the services they provide (specifically EDGE/HSPA/HSPA+). two, certain os builds work better than others. i have tried many recently and have routinely reverted back to os7.1.0.437. at&t, my service provider, released os7.1.0.694 days ago. so far it seems to be working well. os6.1.0.714 has been leaked for some os7 devices and  reportedly works well, too.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Elliot22 do you have any luck with Telstra?

I've just had 5 inbound calls in a row that couldn't hear me, but when i called them back, the phone worked fine.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

No!
I called Telstra. They tried to give me a new handset! It was 20 mins of frustration.
Picked up the phone on Thursday. They told me they had updated the software. I checked the version on the device. Its the same as what it went in with. It failed once since. The 9700 didn't fail. In over 400 calls this week.
I will roll the software back to an older version and see how it goes.
The fact that the repairer lied about the upgrade doesn't give me much confidence in them.
If the older version doesn't work I will keep returning it, it still has. 17months warranty.
One thing the telstra shop has said to me is they haven't had any other reports from other users.
Iam usually in the Werribee/Geelong region when it happens. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
Cheers.