Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Priv, Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

9900 tips for less data ussage

Hi:

How can I cut down on data usage?  Totally new to all of this stuff.  For example, a girl at work just bought an iphone & another co-worker told her... when at work, turn on airplane mode & the phone will not use her network but instead will use the works wifi.  I tried this with Blackberry but couldn't get it to work.  If I try to just use my wifi, the phone doesn't really work.

So, if I want to use just the phone for a while, & no data, how do I do this?  I thought one thing could be to maybe sign out of email but there's no log out option on my email. 

There must be some things I can do, I am just unaware of all of them so if you have any tips, I'd apprecaite it.

TIA

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: 9900 tips for less data ussage

Hello towngirl_04 and welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Thanks for your question regarding data usage on your BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 smartphone.

You said your phone doesn't work when connected to Wi-Fi®. Do you get an error? Are you unable to make a successful connection? What doesn't seem to work?

If you are looking to turn off data services but retain the phone functions (SMS, Calls) go to Manage Connections>Networks and Connections>Mobile Network and change Data Services to Off. Just remember to turn it back on when you want to use your email, BBM™ etc.

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Priv, Playbook

Hi:

I guess I didn't say exactly what I meant.  Sorry.. 

I had been trying to get my phone to run on home wifi or work wifi while turning off my Carrier services when wifi was in use.  I've been playing around with it & I guess to some degree, I now have it working a bit.  I guess I just expected more. 

When wifi is on & carrier is off, I can't send a regular text (BBM seems to work though) & I don't understand why that is. .. often the email doesn't work.  & the internet also doesn't always work.  It tells me something about not enough data to use it .. or something.  I would expect more because my internet can handle more than I can get via the BB. 

I also can't make a phone call when wifi only is on.  It says "Radio is off... restore connections".  Which means I can't run off wifi because I will miss any calls coming in.

So, it's just not as glamerous as I'd hoped but... it does seem to be working.

I have been spending a lot of time looking stuff up so I figured out a bit of what I was trying to do but it wasn't easy lol.  I would turn off Carrier & turn on wifi but it woudln't work.. I didn't realize I then had to go search & connect to a connection (duh me). 

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

When your BlackBerry is connected to a Wi-Fi network, it will use Wi-Fi for your data features -such as BBM, Email etc.

When the carrier services are turned off that would explain why your phone calls and SMS didn't work - the connection to your carrier services was turned off.

You can check to ensure your device is connected to Wi-Fi by going to your Manage Connections>Service Status and you should see the BlackBerry Internet Connection showing Wi-Fi. If you aren't using Wi-Fi then it would display your carrier's network.

Hope this helps to clarify.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Keep in mind that your BlackBerry compresses all BIS data before sending it off to your phone, so right off the bat you'll be using less data than an iPhone while surfing the same sites and viewing the same emails.

On top of that, connect to Wi-Fi while surfing and you've got it made!  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Is there a possibility to block cellular data usage except the enterprise eMails?

I do not want to download something or surf in internet except I am connected with WiFi but still want to receive and send eMails.

I will be really glad if this is possible.