Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: AT&T

9900 trackpad rolls by itself in the sun and wind

My 9900 Bold cannot be used outside.  The sun and/or wind makes the screen to start rolling.  If is next to impossible to stop.  I know other 9900 owners that have the same problem.  How can this be corrected?  I have adjusted the sensitivity of the trackpad.  It does not help.

Thanks!

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 9900 trackpad rolls by itself in the sun and wind

I've never seen this situation, you say just your 9900 sitting idle not in your hand on say, sitting on a table, the wind and sun will cause the trackpad to roll around itself?

I doubt it it is the sun and wind, likely you have moisture damage to the device, from being left in a high humidity environment, a bathroom counter during a hot shower or bath, gym locker back or a sweaty pants or shirt pocket or face.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

I have never taken a hot shower and left the phone in the bathroom. I always carry the phone in its holster, never in a pocket. I never take the phone to the bym. It is mainly the sun. If I am walking in the sun holding the phone in my hands and I hit the message icon to look at my messages, the screen starts rolling and goes all the way to the last message in the file.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Have the same problem from the day I bought it - does anyone know if reloading the operating system would work.

Frank3141592 wrote:
I have never taken a hot shower and left the phone in the bathroom. I always carry the phone in its holster, never in a pocket. I never take the phone to the bym. It is mainly the sun. If I am walking in the sun holding the phone in my hands and I hit the message icon to look at my messages, the screen starts rolling and goes all the way to the last message in the file.

Ok, so then how does the wind affect it?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

If I knew the answer to that question I would not be posting the question, don't you think. The fact is that it happens. The fact is that others are having the same problem.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me... I wasn't asking you to explain the "why" or "how", but from your experience.

You said how in the hot sun, pressing the Menu key will cause the screen to scroll. Understood.

In the wind... what happens?

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Let's say I am walking on a sunny day. I pull the 9900 from its holster. I have severall rows of icons in the favorite screen. The rows of icons begin to roll all the way to the buttom. I press the return key to go back to the top. They roll again. If I start to look at messages in the sun, rows on the screen roll all the way to the last message, very fast. I have to press the return key to go to the beginning, and the same thing happens. It is mainly the sun.
Inside my car or my home it works fine. I do appreciate your interest in helping me this problem I did noe mean to be rude to you. I misunderstood your question. Sorry also!

I suspect that is a sun/heat factor. You can't replicate it inside a room under normal temperatures?

Or, if in the sun as you describe, you were to press more lightly?

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Not in the house. In the sun I do not have to press anything for it to happen. As soon as I take it out of the holster, the screen with the icons starts to roll even before I press anything. If I press the messenger icon to show all my messages, the list of messengers starts to rolls even if I am not pressing anything.