Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

“A Fatal error has occurred while updating your device’s software. Please try again”

Hi there,

I am running the BlackBerry Desktop manager 4.7 on Vista Business edition SP1.

When I want to update my software to 4.6 on my phone, the following error appear after the backup process is complete:

“A Fatal error has occurred while updating your device’s software. Please try again”

Any ideas?!

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: “A Fatal error has occurred while updating your device’s software. Please try again”

New Contributor

Re: “A Fatal error has occurred while updating your device’s software. Please try again”

Thanks for the link, but even following the instructions, still lead to the fatal error....
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Try different USB ports.
New Contributor

Try downloading the actual handheld software from the carriers website.

In my case the automatic "Check for updates" update file was corrupt somehow, and I downloaded the software from T-Mobiles website.

tmobile [dotcom] / bbupgrade 

Although blackberry. com/btsc/KB02696 does talk about this error, I actually am intentionally trying to do an Application Load without the battery - so in my case I went to Upgrade Software instead of Add/Remove under App Loader and chose the locally installed file. 

Voila, it worked for me.  

I am having this same problem. It started with my wifes pearl, trying to update it on two seperate pcs and getting the fatal error. Now, I have removed all BB software from my laptop, installed, restarted and I still get fatal error when trying to update software.

The software updater gets to the point where it is downloading 0 of XX files which displays for a split second then gives out the fatal error message.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone Ghana

Re: "A fatal error has occured while updating device software" bug (FIXED & SOLVED)

Hi there. Am a new member here and a new Blackberry bold 9000 user as well. I have been playing with my Blackberry bold a lot and God lately showed me the solution to ths "fatal error has occured while updating device's software" problem that DM usually gives when either trying to update or Jst adding an application. The steps to correct the error are as follows- 1. Go to device manager and under universal serial bus controllers, UNCHECK the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option under the power management tab of the 1ST usb root hub. 2. Voila! Just start the computer in safe mode (for most computers, pressing f8 when pc is starting up boots it into safe mode) and log into the ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT. A password might be required so Jst type the password and log into the account. Now starting DM or loader.exe WILL WORK without causing any errors. An alternative solution is to right click in any account either the DM software shortcut on the desktop or loader.exe and choose "run as administrator". Then type your password and ENJOY! PS: please copy and paste ths solution everywhere possible cos it really works. Thanks and God bless!
If God be for Us, Who can be against Us...
New Contributor

Re: "A fatal error has occured while updating device software" bug (FIXED & SOLVED)

I have the same problem and have a useless Berry. 

I have a BBB 9000 on ATT and I was running 5.0 OS but did not like it so was going to downgrade to what was the official .297 before it was taken back.  I did a wipe with JL_cmder then was going to do a clean install and put on the .297. I have done it this way to downgrade before with no problem.  When I do it thru DM 4.6 or 5.0 I get the message "A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software.  Please try again."  I had gotten this in the past for a time or two then it would load fine.  This time no deal.  

If I do it by going to the app loader.exe I get the error: "Unable to complete loading operation.  A newer version of app loader is required to load the system software on this device (A:0x00000008)"

I have rebooted the computer numerous times, taken out the BB battery, uninstalled and reinstalled DM 4.6 and then 5.0 hoping the app loader would be the updated one it needed but didn't work. I have the USB cord plugged straight into the computer and not into the hub.  I tried the Fix that was on here about going into Safe Mode and it did the same things so no luck.  I have tried the fixes to force the OS on, tried like it was nuked.  Nothing has worked so far and I am getting very frustrated.  I can't afford another phone but this is getting very frustrating.

I hope that someone can help me as I am desperate.

I am having the same issue. I just called Verizon technical support and they said Blackberry did not make the software to be able to load on Vista that is 32-bit. She said we should  complain to Blackberry and maybe one day they will fix it, but until then there is nothing you can do.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jendga wrote:

I am having the same issue. I just called Verizon technical support and they said Blackberry did not make the software to be able to load on Vista that is 32-bit. She said we should  complain to Blackberry and maybe one day they will fix it, but until then there is nothing you can do.

What this VZW rep told you is quite simply not accurate...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................