Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: “A Fatal error has occurred while updating your device’s software. Please try again”

YEA!!!!!!!!!  Well I can now tell everyone to watch out for the upgrades that comes from ATT.  I tried both .297 and the .438 that both came from the ATT site and they both messed up my phone.  I ended up doing the what sdgardne said and went thru uninstalling the DM and the OS and went to DM 5.0 and OS 5.0.0.190 and it went perfectly.  Thanks a lot for the help.
New Contributor

Re: “A Fatal error has occurred while updating your device’s software. Please try again”

Well I've tried everything to upgrade my phone to 4.5 - Apart from completely wiping it and starting again, which I'm not willing to do and any suggestion to do this to upgrade the OS is ridiculous.

This Guide here:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02696&slic...

Is the most worthless piece of problem solving I have ever read.  Not only does it state to Erase all currently installed applications in Resolution 2, It also states to not automatically back up and restore it then tells you to put a battery back in that you were never told to remove, and laughably in Resolution 3 tells you to 'physically check' and then follow Step 2.

What kind of monkey service is this?

This is the first time I've vivited these boards or the blackberry site for help and I'm utterly dissapointed.  It's no surprise everubody is moving over to the iPhone.  I think I might just do the same.

Not happy, My Blackberry sucks. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Virtualburn wrote:

Well I've tried everything to upgrade my phone to 4.5 - Apart from completely wiping it and starting again, which I'm not willing to do and any suggestion to do this to upgrade the OS is ridiculous.

This Guide here:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02696&slic...

Is the most worthless piece of problem solving I have ever read.  Not only does it state to Erase all currently installed applications in Resolution 2, It also states to not automatically back up and restore it then tells you to put a battery back in that you were never told to remove, and laughably in Resolution 3 tells you to 'physically check' and then follow Step 2.

What kind of monkey service is this?

This is the first time I've vivited these boards or the blackberry site for help and I'm utterly dissapointed.  It's no surprise everubody is moving over to the iPhone.  I think I might just do the same.

Not happy, My Blackberry sucks. 

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

We are so sorry that you are having so many difficulties. While many experience the same (a search here will reveal that fact), there are also many who have very positive experiences with their BB. Not every device is suitable for everyone -- which IMHO is why there are so many choices.

There are many volunteers on these boards who provide excellent assistance to other users...it is certainly not perfect, but such is not a valid expectation IMHO. While you may well have found a flaw with the specific BTSC KB that you cited, to extend that to maligning the volunteers on this board is, pardon my expression, offensive.

Nevertheless, if you desire to ask other users for specific assistance, then this forum would indeed be the correct place for that.

Good luck!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 09-28-2009 09:47 AM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

I followed the steps outlined by sdgardne but still experienced the error until I realised that the automatic scan for updates was NOT searching for the update I had downloaded and installed from my service provider (it was probably searching the BB site for updates). 

What I did was to cancel the Application Updates Available (from the auto scan), selected Application Loader and then selected Update Software.  Once it had done the searches for the available updates, I was also given a few options for available updates.  One of these was the option of installing the local version (i.e. the service provider's version which I had installed) which I selected.  You need to click on the + icon to see the description of the update. The update then worked perfectly, even though it took very long.

Trusted Contributor

Re: "A fatal error has occured while updating device software" bug (FIXED & SOLVED)

[ Edited ]

this quite simply DOES NOT WORK

Blackberry Tour 9630, Verizon, running ver 4.7.1.40 and DeviceManager ver 5.0.0.8

have the same fata error message when goes through process in DM (both with autoupdate active and autoupdate inactive) - tells me there is a core application and other OS updates available, and I go through the screens (have tried with and without backing up device) then click next next finish and shows message of downloading module 1 of xxx - goes straight to "fatal error" message from there.   Have tried uninstall / install of DM, have turned off the power savings box on the USB ports, have used all USB ports on my machine (no hubs), have tried with Blackberry battery out, battery in, battery out then in during the process.  Have rebooted computer. Have tried these combinations with virus checker off, with all other PC applications closed, standing on one foot and lighting candles with the other foot.  Now my you know what are scorched and my Blackberry Tour is still not updating its software.  

ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENS - IF WE KNOW THE WHY WE CAN FIGURE OUT A HOW........

Next I will try "downgrading" to DM 4.5 or something earlier and try again (once I unistall, reboot, and cross my eyes)

New Contributor
My Device: TOUR 9630

Re: "A fatal error has occured while updating device software" bug (FIXED & SOLVED)

I also tried to update Device Software (Tour 9630) and received: "APP ERROR 205-RESET" in tiny print.  Took to my Verizon store and they said the phone is "fried".  Desktop software (v.5.0) will not recognize when plugged in, via USB.  I have attempted all troubleshooting ideas as well and it still only reboots and displays the same message.  I am starting to believe that it is really "fried".  Does anyone have any ideas?

Highlighted
Developer

I encountered the same issue. ATT said you can’t go back after consulting with RIM.

I managed to do it be having BlackBerry device software 4.6 installed along with the Blackberry Desktop software 5.0.1

It seems the issue is with the Blackberry Desktop software 4.6 unable to update a device with a 5.0 software