Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Virgin

A few suggestions for BlackBerry

1. If not already included in more recent OS of which I am not aware, I would strongly recommend that the developers at BlackBerry consider improving on the user-friendliness for enhanced convenience of the functionality of the Calendar while in Agenda view of OS 7 for example. My suggestion is that while in Agenda view and one wants to go to a particular date on the calendar in order to make an entry, it should be possible to simply jump to any date whenever Go to Date is selected from the Menu, as is the case when in Calendar view.
  2. My second suggestion is to not only have Tasks or Appointments as options for entry in the Calendar/Agenda, but to include Events also. An event is not necessarily an appointment or a task and may include a variety of activities that take place on various days during a year that may be of interest to an individual. As examples, a festival or a parade or a special holiday.
  3. The third suggestion is to make it possible for users to edit any entry (for example: Calendar, Tasks or Notes and Memos) within Desktop Manager even without the device being connected to the PC or Mac. After syncing with the device, everything would be updated immediately. Even documents and any other editable file should be possible to add and delete as well as open up and viewed on the computer with ease.
  4. Finally, make BlackBerry Desktop Manager more vigilant in getting the very latest available updates for devices. I recently had an experience where the Desktop Manager stated that no update to OS 7.0 was available and my device (Bold 9900) also indicated that "Your BlackBerry is up to date" even though there was in fact OS 7.1 was available! How could that be? After searching the support database and discussion forums I was finally made aware of how I had to manually download the file, extract it and then go to a folder on my C: drive to search for and delete a component called vendor.xml,  and finally use Apploader to update the OS on my device! That is crazy! One should never have to go through all of that just to update the OS. I am therefore making a strong appeal to BlackBerry to make a big improvement in this regard. All that has to be done is to make Desktop Manager simply go find the updates and install them and to stop saying that no updates are available when in fact there is. I love BlackBerry.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: A few suggestions for BlackBerry

Hello,

Your suggestions are excellent. A clarification for you, however, on item 4...

The support model for BlackBerry devices places primary support onto the carriers for their end user base. As such, the carriers then hold responsibility to release updated OS levels to their end users. As part of that, each carrier receives the updated OS packages from BlackBerry and then conducts their own processes -- testing, certification, internal support staff training, etc. In some cases, one carrier may well refuse to release/support a particular OS level while another carrier might choose to release/support it.

For your situation on item 4, that is the guess I would make...at the time you were attempting this, some carrier, other than yours, released 7.1 for your device while your carrier, for reasons only they can reveal, did not. Given the contractually required support model (where your carrier is responsible for your front line support), the Desktop Software will, left in it's "automatic" mode, always default to offering only those OS levels that your specific carrier has released and supports. To override that automatic function, you must do exactly as you did.

To change the "automatic" functionality within the Desktop Software would require changing the entire support model for BlackBerry devices...which would involve renegotiating contractual relationships all over the world with all carriers that presently support BlackBerry devices on their networks. I hope you can appreciate that such would not be a trivial undertaking.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................