Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

A list of faults - is it me or the phone?

I have a 8120 Pearl - I’m brand new to Blackberry so I’m unsure of whether I have a faulty phone or I’m just doing something wrong. My service provider also claims not to really understand them yet either and so are unable to help me with my list of faults:

• Phone is not GPS enabled so I can’t access Blackberry Maps. Is this a feature I should have access to?

• On connecting to computer (mac), I say yes when it asks if I wish for Mass Storage Device to be activated, but I am unable to copy photo’s off of the phone, nor get any music files on to the phone.

• Quite a few websites don’t load – I get an internal error message appear

• It's latest trick is to delete all my text messages (inbox and outbox) and my call log list, which is really annoying!

Is it me or the phone?? If anyone can at least tell me that much I’d be hugely grateful! Thank you :-)

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: A list of faults - is it me or the phone?

For the first question the Pearl 8120 does not have built-in GPS. You will need to purchase a Bluetooth GPS receiver and pair it with the device in order to get GPS functionality.

And for the deleting of the texts and call logs, that usually happens when the memory is low.  When the internal memory gets lower (lower than 12MB in some cases, although there is not a set number) the device will start deleting messages and/or call logs to conserve memory. You can check your available memory by going to Options > Status and checking the File Free parameter.

The quickest way to free up some memory is to perform a hard reset. Remove the battery from the device (while it is still powered on) for about 10 seconds, then reinsert. Also, look at the links below for ways to maximize the memory:

http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_free_up_memory_on_my_device%3F

http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Why_is_my_BlackBerry_losing_its_call_logs_or_message_logs%3F