Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500
My Carrier: Verizon

A touch screen issue.- is unresponsive at times.

[ Edited ]

Hi all.  Lately the touch screen of my storm has been doing something pretty weird.  For the past few weeks, when I try to select something on one side of the screen, it won't respond. Like that side of the screen is dead or something.  Then there are times when I try to select something that's on the right,  the icon on the opposite side of the screen lights up.  Same thing hapens when its in landscape view.  And sometimes it doesn't even respond at all. 

It's most problematic when I try to use the keyboard function.  Letters opposite of what I want light up. I've been turning the storm around so that the letter I want to sellect is on the responsive side of the screen, and sometimes I have to tap repeatedly just to get the button I want highlighted.

Used to be that it would come and go, but more recently it's been coming more often than it is going.  I've already tried a battery pull, but I don't think it worked. And it's been a while since I upgraded it, but only because I lost the software and cord to connect it to the computer.  What do I need to do?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: A touch screen issue.- is unresponsive at times.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

A few more pieces of data please...

• Carrier? (e.g., VZW, Voda, etc.)

• Country?

• Current Device OS Level? (Homescreen > Options > About...the third line of information...all of the information).

Thanks!

PS -- I suspect the advice will be to update...but that will require that you obtain a replacement USB cable in order to do a proper backup so that you can ensure that you have all your data ready for the restore after the update...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I figured It might be a software thing.

But in any case, Verizon is the carrier, and the country is USA and the OS version is V4.7.0.148

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

a1matt wrote:
OS version is V3.7.0.148

Hopefully that's a typo...4.7.0.148 would be more correct, I think.

Now, as to if updating will fix it -- that cannot be guaranteed. Updating is merely an attempt of a corrective measure. If the issue is at a hardware level, then there's nothing an OS update could do about it. But, the current OS is widely seen as much "better" -- though there are plenty who feel otherwise.

What worries me most is that you say that this behavior is recent...which might lend to a hardware level diagnosis. However, there is also more that needs to be understood since other things can impact device performance.

Just before this behavior started, did anything change on your BB? Anything at all? A newly added app? An updated add-on app?

Thanks.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

The only thing that I can think of is that sometimes these apps pop up on my bb for no apparent reason.    I cleaned under the screen once, but that was a good three months before the screen started acting glitchy.  Another thing is that since my power cord broke(it doesn't stay fully connected to the BB) my blackberry has been running out of power when I try to charge it. The cord can still charge the phone, but you've got to angle it certain ways to get the power to flow.

And yeah it was a typo.

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

Hmmmm...well, you do seem to have a few issues going on.

Concerning the power cord and charging, do you have a second charger to try? The reason I ask that is so that you can rule in/out the USB port on the BB itself as being the problem (rather than the adapter cord/plug). If it's the USB port on the BB, then you definitely are at a hardware level issue and updating might be moot (indeed, might not be possible if the USB cord can't keep attached to the BB hardware).

Are you still under warranty? If so, that might be your best bet. But be prepared for a data loss issue -- if you can't a backup from the device (due to a hardware-level issue), then you might well lose all of your contacts/calendar/etc that are presently on the BB.

Have you attempted to use BT with the Desktop Software? I've never done so myself, but it is supposed to be able to do so...

• KB04132 How to set up Bluetooth connectivity between a BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager

While I doubt you could perform the OS update via BT, it might be possible to at least take a backup so that you can have your data available for restore onto whatever becomes necessary.

As for those pesky pop-in apps -- those are pushed by the carriers. But, they are not actually apps that are installed - rather, they are short cuts to the app installation. If you don't select them, then the app does not install.

Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

I concur with sdgarne.

1. Get a complete backup of the device made.

If you can't use the USB, check out www.miQlive.com for an OTA sync of all your contacts, calendar, etc.

2. Upgrade the OS to the latest official relesae fo rthe 9530:

OS 5.0.0.419

Follow the simple instrucitons in the link AFTER you have made the backup of the device.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/214688-latest-os-9530-5-0-0-674...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

yeah, there is a second power cord.  It works just fine on that.

I had gotten a second usb cable and did the upgrade.  It didn't help.   Screen is stille messed up.

I got this thing when the storm first came out.  No way it's under warrenty.  But the people at the verizon store said that there was insurance on it.  SO it's something I can check into.

Hall of Famer III

Excellent diagnostics! Well done! Sadly, what you managed to confirm is the feared hardware-level issue, which no OS update can cure. Do investigate your insurance option...