Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

A true WIPE feature ( BB PIN release (carrier lock) - why not allow device owners to release it?)

[ Edited ]

I don't understand why BlackBerry will make it so hard for users to delete their own BIS accounts.

- If you buy a BlackBerry device (full price, from market, unlocked) and use it with, let's say, Rogers.

and now you sell it to someone else. And he wants to use it with, let's say, TELUS. The new owner can not use it.

First, you've to call Rogers and ask them to release your PIN (or delete your BIS account). Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't do it. You are at mercy of Rogers.

How stupid is this? And why the hell should I need to wait at Roger's phone queue.

If you own a device, you should be able to :

1. wipe your device (feature already exists)

2. delete your BIS account (only available to carriers, not available to users)

that should be completely under your control. "wipe" feature works. But there is no way to delete/remove PIN.

You don't have to do this on any other phone (Nokia Ovi, Android, iPhone etc). Why can't RIM give control to device owners? Device owners are the ones that paid for it in the first place.

In my opinion, the "wipe" feature is not really a true wipe feature, if it doesn't let you delete your BIS account. RIM should allow you to delete your own BIS account. Either:

a. through phone (when you wipe, it should delete BIS account too)

b. or your BIS account page (login with your user/pass, and delete your own BIS account).

New Contributor
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: A true WIPE feature ( BB PIN release (carrier lock) - why not allow device owners to release it?)

Guys, if you agree there should be a feature like this, then you should post something on this thread. Maybe RIM will notice.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: A true WIPE feature ( BB PIN release (carrier lock) - why not allow device owners to release it?)

Hi codeninja123,

If you have a BlackBerry with a specific carrier then switch your BlackBerry within the same carrier, once you register, then login to your BlackBerry Internet Service account, your account will detect the PIN change and swith accordingly.

As for switching carriers, you would have to contact your current carrier to delete your account as every carrier has their own BlackBerry Internet Service accounts.

I understand what you are asking and I will see if I can obtain more information as to why this process is in place.

Thanks

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Globe Telecom PH

Yeah!....RIM should make a feature like that...it is very inconvinient for 2nd hand users to retrieve and find ways to release their pins....

My Device: Considering Curve purchase 9370,9360 or 9300
My Carrier: o2 UK, Telstra Aus

Thankfully I found this page before switching from Nokia to a SIM-free unlocked Blackberry!

I regularly switch between network operators as I spend time in both UK and Australia every year. It seems it would be impracticle to have one Blackberry to use on two (or more) networks, due to the pin release issue.

I generally use O2 UK and Telstra Aus, but sometimes use Optus in Aus too. I will buy prepay sims in France, Italy, Greece, Turkey & India when visiting, so buying 2 Blackberrys is not a solution as I would actually need at least 6, which is rediculous. Actually, needing to buy 2 is also rediculous.

If I have one BB & get my pin released each time I go between UK and Aus, and back to the UK again is this practical? How long does this process take & will I be able to use GSM services e'g' phone/text, use WiFi & use my diary etc whilst waiting for pin release and renewal? Likewise, when I go elsewhere (generally a holiday), if I insert a local prepay sim can I make calls and use WiFi for web browsing & the internal diary?

I like the look of the businesslike functionality on BB, but maybe the PIN issue is too limiting & I should consider Android instead?

Many thanks for any feedback,

Ian