Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

ACT no longer available as an option for synching?

Our organization supports Blackberry's that connect to our Lotus Notes servers via BLACKBERRY ENTERPRISE install.  One of the clients we support did not use Lotus Notes for any of his blackberry synching, but instead used ACT.  He called in for another (unrelated to Blackberry) issue, but somehow during all the work that was done, his blackberry desktop software was removed and re-installed.  Ever since it has been reinstalled, we no longer see ACT as an available choice for him to chose to sync his contacts or calendar from.

We have tried uninstalling and re-installing several times, including reinstalling and selecting both the ENTERPRISE and the PERSONAL edition during install.  (Since he doesn't use Lotus Notes, he really doesn't need the ENTERPRISE version installed on the machine, but we tried both ways).

We still have options for Lotus Notes, Outlook, Yahoo, ASCII, etc, but just no ACT any longer.

We don't normally support ACT here, but since we removed it and re-installed it for something un-related, I would like to help at least find out why ACT is no longer a choice for one of the PIM synchronization devices.

Any clues as to where to start would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! 

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: ACT no longer available as an option for synching?

If you download and install Desktop Manager version 4.2 Service Pack 2, you will still see ACT as a selection.

The more recent versions of DM do not support ACT.

The "why" I do not know.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Before we removed his version that he had, he was using 4.7 and it had ACT as an option.  I will try 4.2 service pack 2 as an option though and see if that helps, but he may want to stay with the most current version.

If we install 4.2 sp2 and then upgrade to 4.7, maybe that would work?  It seems like we completely removed it at one point and then just tried to re-install...so maybe that could be why? 

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

To my knowledge,DM 4.7 has never supported ACT syncronzation. At least it is not listed.

Organizer Support

• IBM Lotus Notes 6, 6.5, 7, 8
  • Microsoft Outlook 2002, 2003, 2007
  • Microsoft Outlook Express 6, Microsoft Windows Contacts (Vista Address Book)
  • Novell® GroupWise® 6.5, 7.0
  • Yahoo!® PIM

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8100

With ACT! 2005 (7.0), the types and ammounts of data that users want to sync became more complex... I suspect this is why RIM left it to the third-party products.

For a more "ACT! like" UI and data as well as ability to record SMS, Email and Calls made from the phone, you might have a look at the trial of Handheld Contact 

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
My Device: curve 8530
My Carrier: verizon

I just updated (or something) my curve 8530 to V.5.0.0.973. Do I need to somehow look for 4.2 & try to install that? Before my update my version was fairly recent & I was able to sync my act database.

Contributor
My Device: 8100

What version of ACT!?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus