Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, bold9900
My Carrier: Rogers

APPWORLD NO DATA

Hi, i dont have a dataplan, is there a way to get blackberrybridge so i can link my playbook's calendar, and contacts?

please advise, thank you.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: APPWORLD NO DATA

Hello,

Even if you were to obtain BB Bridge, it will not do what I think you are asking for. The Bridge allows the PB to access and control the BB-located Calendar and Contacts, but it does not allow the BB to control those located on the PB (except via the remote control function). As such, I do not think that BB Bridge will allow you to do what you are thinking of.

Perhaps I misunderstand your request?

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you so much for your response!

Yes, I was just hoping to sync my calendars from each device, that's all. Is there any way to do that without a dataplan?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Well, the PB can sync those OTA (via WiFi) for some services (Gmail for sure, not certain of others). So, if you can get those to sync to your BB OTA, you will be in sync...oh wait, no data plan...that presents a difficulty.

The only way I can think is for you to use Outlook or some other Desktop PIM and get that to sync with your server...and then use the RIM Desktop Software to sync (USB) between Outlook and your BB. You have to be careful of limitations, though. For instance, with free Gmail, only Calendar can sync automatically between Outlook and the servers (and you have to use an add-on)...from what I understand, there is no add on to automate the Contacts process between Outlook and Gmail.

I'm not sure of other services either.

Sorry I can't be more specific...but BBs are just not intended to be operated without a data plan...so many things they do are tightly integrated to the BB-specific data plan that not having one makes the device very close to useless.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you again!

I'm still happy with the Bold and Playbook. They aren't  bad. Would've been nice to pair them though, and if I were able to access APPWORLD on the bold the way I do the playbook. But I'm still happy with the products, they are brilliant.

Thank you once again for everything!

Hall of Famer III

With the latest versions of AW, you should be able to access from the BB via WiFi only. Then again, if the BB has never been active on a carrier with a proper BIS data plan, then it might not have the necessary Service Books. My 9860 is right now with no carrier plan at all (neither voice nor data) and can access AppWorld just fine via WiFi. But, that might be due to the fact that it once was active on ATT, and still has the Service Books from that time...which might be what is allowing AppWorld to function now, even with no carrier plan.

I've not had the chance to try any use of AW without Service Books in place...I might get that chance though. I'll be updating my BB OS in the next few weeks, and I might slip in there a test of AW usage without the Service Books in place.

In any event, you are most welcome and Good Luck!

New Contributor

Wow, that helps a lot. I was debating on getting a data plan for a week or not, just to setup the phone. I'll do that now, and hopefully post results. 

Thanks again for everything!

Hall of Famer III

You are most welcome...enjoy!

PS -- I just updated my 9860 (to 7.1.0.746) and specifically did not do the "special" Service Book restore process...and it's working just fine with AppWorld via WiFi only. There are some Service Books, but not as many as I had backed up (via the "special" steps needed to properly do that). So, it's possible that yours may well work just fine without a data plan as well. Cheers!

New Contributor

I'll try that first, and post results.

Thanks again!