Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

AT&T BB 8110 - SIM Card Question

I'm a new BB user.  I received my BB 8110 last week - there was a SIM card installed in the BB, and the larger SIM card surround was in the box.  When I powered up the phone with this SIM card I had a message "SIM card not provisioned" and I could only get SOS service.  I replaced the new SIM card with my older (6 months old) AT&T SIM card and the BB works just fine.  All my contacts, photos, videos, appointments, etc. on my older SIM can be accessed properly.

Question #1 - Am I losing any features or functionality by using my older SIM card?  If so, what is "provisioning" and how do I get the new card "provisioned".

Question #2 - I have loaded Blackberry Maps into the phone - under advanced options, applications the BB Maps program is listed as being on the phone.  However, I have no icon for BB Maps in the main menu or the application folder.  Does AT&T block usgae of BB Maps somehow?

Thanks for your help in advance.

New Contributor

Re: AT&T BB 8110 - SIM Card Question

I have the same problem. Please do post if you come to know the solution.
New Contributor

I received my Pearl today and am having the same problem. the sim that came with my pearl says something about a provision 2. my old sim works. I am trying to figure all of the features out. I have AT&T so I was made to take out a data plan for at least 6months in order to get my pearl 8110 free. I don't have a clue how to set up any of the connections though. any help for this newbie is appreciated.

New Contributor

You have to call up a certain number and activate the phone in order to get the new sim working. They must have mentioned that number in the manual that you get with this phone. And you have to call from a different phone.

Also, when I called up AT&T they said that we need to have the data plan to get the GPS working (*#!?). Since you have the data plan, all of it should work once you get the phone activated.

New Contributor

I have had other phones that required you call and activate. this one didn't have a number in any of the booklets, etc. I received an email when they shipped it stating my new phone had been activated and I might temporarily have no service with my old phone, I never lost service.  I tried to call tech support and of course they were closed yesterday evening and today.