Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Fido

AT&T Bold, )S 5.0/Data/SIM errors...

I am at a loss for words here.

**I have spent my entire day googling/reading/searching these forums and many others. I am sure someone has to have some insight?! And tried many things**

I love BB's always had them, but NEVER have i experienced such unreliable equipment.

I am in Canada on the Fido network, have BIS, and still functioning on my 8800 [which the 9000 was replacing]

Coles:

-Got phone, called to get unlock code; check so it is unlocked
-attempt to use phone in 3G as is with OEM AT&T 4.6 OS; negative, research reveals it will work in 2G, somehow i had the ability to switch between EDGE/3g
-> tested and it works, but i bought this phone for the 3G and multitasking ability
-Had confirmed PIN is released from AT&T this afternoon, before embarking any further.
- INSTALLED BB desktop Mgr 5.0.1 [latest one, as i always would do so when upgrading]
-Upgrade to 5.0.0.411 OS, now i have done this time and time again, and can do it blindfolded. [followed standard procedure]
-> Prior to doing this research suggests that the Denmark OS 5.0.0.411 is 'best', so i went ahead with that one first. Success! It worked, i was calling/texting/basic phone-like functions in 3G!

-Now 'data' part [called my carrier here to confirm it is just as easy as 'change device/PIN & IMEI' on the fido.blackberry.com website]

So i go ahead, feeling happy/excited to add data and retire this 8800. Fan-freakin-tastic!
"Information you have provided is not valid for this service provider."
-Respectively i was reading up on the 'service books' and how some phones will detect data with a new sim [this did not appear with initial working above since it showed up the option ONLY as BES setup, and i have BIS...]
-> Now i can't call my carrier this device is not carried by them, and they cannot guarantee it working in any case, unless it is a branded device by them - understandable.
*I forgot my p/w so i took out the SIM since it was sent to my 8800 for the password...

-I was doing something on my other phone, so i took out the SIM and into my old one, trying to figure out the data.
-Time to try it out again [*read up on the registering the BIS via the phone menus]
-> AWESOME! IT DOESN'T READ MY SIM [the same sim from 1 hour earlier...]
-3 billion hard resets, soft resets, and nothing.
-More research shows to try the Bell OS, so i do so USING the BBSAK program, gave that a whirl. Did a wipe/reinstall of the BELL 5.0.0.411
-Now the verdict; it STILL shows 'Initialization Failed' SOS/
Tried my mother's SIM to see if it would have basic function [and it is only a 1.5 year old SIM and mine is ~1 y.o.] And it claims 'invalid sim' [confirmed yet again it is unlocked and that i am not in fact seeing things here]

I am at a loss for words, i officially am super pissed and very tempted to break this thing. Amazing how it goes from working to brick in less than an hour. And the best part is that i did nothing wrong [procedure wise/damaging] or anything to provoke this strange behavior of my phone.

Anyone bother trying to share some insight?

A Bold user looking to buy an iPhone asap at this rate,
Mike

Contributor

Re: AT&T Bold, )S 5.0/Data/SIM errors...

SOME OTHER UPDATES/POSTS from ANOTHER FORUM... Just so ALL grounds are covered...

-Someone:

"i dont have much experience with fido. but when i tried to use my Telstra (unlocked) the first time. My SIM worked initially but ended up with the "SOS" at the end after a few hours. It turned out that AT&T married the SIM to the IMEI and PIN. Any one of those doesnt match, your phone wont work. I ended up spending 2 hours on the phone with AT&T explaining that the BOLD was a gift and it is unlocked. After AT&T did their magic, the little 3G icon and voice service worked immediately. I hope it helps."

- My reply:

When i called i specifically asked nicely and wanted to confirm that i am good to go, and sure enough they said, "of course!"

I just tried once more to work out the OS issues by re-re-reuploading it, this time with JL CMDER, and no dice as well... Strange...

At this point i am going to call at&t again to inquire about this suggestion and if not i will try a downgrade to a 'later' 4.6 OS.

I will be updating this thread as i go along, and post my discoveries. Unlike the many unanswered queries i encountered scattered all over the internet!!

Contributor

-Someone:

have you tried using the dummy rogers/fido IMEI? The CSR added the dummy IMEI and it works fine for me on a Rogers unlock bold on Fido.

2222222222228 <-dummy imei

BTW, i'n using like a 8+ year old sim.

Also reading that the sim card could be fried.

-Myself:

I thought about it for a second, then again my effort woudl prove useless since i currently have a phone that doesn't recognize my sim. *Okay well it does, but it does not 'connect' to the network per se. I see the bars upon startup, then 1-2 seconds later it jumps to 'initialization failed'. and 'SOS' under the bars.

That was ultimately going to be my next move, to use the dummy IMEI, but actual PIN, but like i said, i don't even have the ability to use the phone.

**SIM card is 100% FINE and it is working and active in my BB 8800 as i post this*** I was getting emails this afternoon and I am getting BBM's as well... So it is working!**

EDIT: Did the dummy IMEI in a last-second-before-I-go-to-bed attempt and this states in a caution window:

Quote:
Invalid PIN or IMEI format:

Please retype your PIN and IMEI. The information you provided is incorrect.

-----------------------------------------------------

Above poster suggested calling AT&T as they sometimes associate a specific SIM with a specific IMEI, etc.

But after 30 mins on the phone [a total of one hour today] i was reassured that it is out of their hands that once it is unlocked i should turn to my provider for help. Which is weird since i only called to confirm the theory of them associating the sim to the phone. But at least this is the last call i had to make as i was guaranteed that the IMEI & PIN are [and were as the afternoon] 100% removed from the database.

Contributor

-SOmeone:

Did you do it on the phone or on a desktop computer?

See if oyu can create an account and try to add it there using a desktop

fido.blackberry.com

Under 'change device' on the left

If you want ot rsend the service books, click on 'Help' and theres a button to resend service books.

But if you cannot even get phone service...somehow i think it might be a hardware issue..my guess it's the sim.
-My reply:

Did it on my desktop. I will try the sim. Worst case scenario i will have a newer sim for my next phone i guess. Btw, it is from one of the latest batches that came out. Originally included in the box of an LG Neon.

Like i said, the SIM is working, right now in my 8800, just got an email this morning @ 7:00 am. Mind you i guess it could be older ones will work with EDGE capable phones, but not AT&T unlocked 3G bolds?

What about debranding? Anyone able to do this in order to get something similar to work?

*I would not mind doing this in either case, i dislike branded phones, the first thing i did was sand off the Rogers/fido/other logo's on most of my [old] other handsets.

Contributor

OKay. Well a new sim card is not the issue as it turns out.

called my useless provider, and told them the scenario. They resent the service books, but like i said 3 million times on the phone, my Bold doesn't get service...

Anyways, sure enough about 1.5 hours after my call for help to them they resent the service books... BACK to my 8800!!!

I am fuming right now... You would not want to hear what i think of this phone and RIM as a whole with this particular incident.

To make matters worse i am SOL in either case. On one hand AT&T has 'washed their hands' of this mess... by saying once you unlock it, we can't help you, go to your own carrier.

And Fido on the other hand is worthless since it doesn't even carry this phone nor know anything to begin with.

Last, RIM is worthless since they don't even have a contact number for support unless you have a credit card on hand, nor a line to contact.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Someone suggested, that i try to 're-unlock' the device, but as we all know, it happens once and that is it. So it is in fact unlocked/sim free...

Now anther suggestion was to get the device swapped for a new one, but that won't happen as i was not the original owner, and i am in the process of seeing if it has remaining warranty...

Thanks all for reading my long posts,

Mike Smiley Happy

Contributor

[ Edited ]

<update>

Still no luck... {edit}

Anyways here is the rundown of what i did to try again:

Numerous attempts at installing 4.6.0.247 from AT&T [with and without removing the vendor.XML file]
Installing 4.6.0.303 from Rogers Wirless
Reinstalling 5.0.0.411 from Denmark.

All of these underwent using BBSAK, apploader.exe, DM 5.0.1, 4.7 & 4.6, tried to do it with CrackMem, but forgot how to use it, and figure it is just as useless as all my other attempts.

Also, i tried a friends' sim Card, on the Fido network, and upon inserting it, it stated 'Invalid Sim card'. I still have to try a Sim card from the 'Rogers' Network to try and isolate the issue with my device, since in this case if it works on one, i will be certain that it is working on at least one network and still have a chance of selling this unusable [to me] device! Oh and i tried a Bell sim, on the 5.0.0.411 OS [IIRC] and it stated 'insert sim card' meaning that it was not reading it, however i look back and i am thinking the sim was dead, i was told [tried it at my old store] it was active/demo line.

I read about this on the internet as well, a similar thread to mine on the 8220 device which a piece of paper is the fix, here it is not And one thread that remained unanswered on GSMhosting, with the same issue, but no 'fix' for the 9000 specifically...

What my options now, are to reinstall DM 5,0,1 and try it using that again [since it was the combo that initially worked] it remained 'open without a battery installed for all sorts of intervals, anywhere from 5 sec to one 24 hr period, and that master reset does nothing, neither do the soft resets on the phone.

To make things worse, the seller did not respond to two of my emails asking what is up with it and if the phone had ANY warranty remaining, of course no answer...

Oh and i did some more snooping, and someone else made a thread on different BB's that simply did the same thing EVEN though they were locked to the network they were being used on, unlocked, etc. Again models from 8100 thru [my] 9000 pretty much, shockingly no one has a 'fix' for the issue.

Remember guys any information/leads helps!

Best,
Mike

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay. Weird stuff going on here.

So my sim new one and old one worked fine, but still changed for the newer just in case.

My friend's 'older' Fido sim card said 'sim card invalid'; but the device is unlocked!? I read somewhere on net that someone had something similar happen. **his Sim card works, it is NOT a sim issue**

The Bell sim card, did the same to me, 'invalid sim', etc.

Now yesterday i tried a Rogers sim card [it is 1 year old more or less] and it gave me the 'initialization failed' as well!?!

Oh yeah, and the phone shoudl recognize a sim that works and not, since i have a dead Cingular sim at home and when i put that one in it said 'invalid sim', knowing that it was inactive.

I have no idea what is wrong with this phone. If i can get it to work by the next few days i am listing it on ebay or selling in the classifieds, in hopes that a cell phone shop can make use of it somehow.

In either case, any of you self proclaimed BB pro's care to enlighten me? Strange how everyone on here jumps on all those asking how to upload an OS but when faced with something in my case, no one has anything to post?

thanks all,

Mike Smiley Happy

Contributor

Well here's an update for those that actually read this...

I debranded it successfully!

But my phone is still **bleep**ed, i think this is a sign for me to stop using blackberry altogether.

Debranded with engineering screen, did it right, installed a 'more' stable OS from Rogers in canada [4.6.0.303] and nothing! Still shows "initialization failed" Should i call back to AT&T and see what the hell is wrong with this thing?!

I have just about given up, i will try and logically think of any external solutions to this phone, but other than that, if it doesn't work what the **bleep** more can i possibly do to this phone to get it to work?

<frustrated BB user> If i cannot get this to work, well i think Apple/others might be getting my business from now on...

-Mike Smiley Mad

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: att

Have you tried to restore the original IMEI and PIN numbers?

Contributor

How do i do that?

Get back to me asap please! Smiley Very Happy