Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberrt Storm 9530/Verizon

Ability to create email account with SSL

I realize this topic has been discussed in a number of threads, but I have been unable to find a helpful response. It appears that BIS does not allow the creation of an email address which can not be verified at creation time and does not allow the creation of an address which requires SSL to be verified. I see that SSL can be set under Advanced Options for an account already created, but this is worthless if I can't create the account in the first place. Is there any solution to this problem? This is extremely frustrating.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Ability to create email account with SSL

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

You should be able to, using the Advanced Integration method, set up an SSL requiring email account. See this procedure for the advanced integration process:

KB02189 Associate email accounts with your BlackBerry Internet Service account

You may actually have to force it to fail the automated integration by using a dummy email address. That way, you will be able to get to the screens that will allow you to enter the https URL of the mail server, which should then allow you to integrate the account. You will need all settings as you will be entering everything manually, but it indeed should work.

Give that a try and let us know.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately they don't work. I can't use https since it is an exchange email server (entering https://... fails connection to the email server) and the advanced integration method does not allow me to select an SSL connection. What would be useful is to have the option of setting SSL when configuring or allowing an email address to be configured and save but not validated. The latter would at least allow me to turn on SSL using the advanced options which for some reason aren't available during the configuration process (makes no sense to me at all).
Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

[ Edited ]

Hello dmlangdon

Have a look at the below KB article, there is some good info in it for integrating OWA.  Do you know if your company is running an ISA server?

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02858&sliceId=1&docTy...

SR 

Message Edited by SmoothRider on 08-13-2009 04:47 PM

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

My phone can't connect to the https OWA site we have. I get an Unable to connect using the current security settings message. Not sure how to fix that one as I don't know which setting it doesn't like.
Retired

[ Edited ]

Are you using the browser or trying to integrate using BIS? 

Does anyone else in your organization have this setup on their device?  It may be an issue with the security features on your exchange server.  Your best options is going to be to contact your carrier and have them escalate the case to RIM so that they can talk to you and investigate as to why you are not able to integrate.

SR

Message Edited by SmoothRider on 08-14-2009 12:06 PM

-SR

New Contributor

Hi SmoothRider,

Unfortunately they are no longer actively supporting the OWA method, which is why I was trying to use the standard exchange mail server configuration. Is RIM not going to support SSL to an email server connectionon the initial configuration or am I missing that somewhere? The only way I see to set SSL is to already have an email connection and then modify it to add SSl to the email server connection, which seems somewhat backwards to me.

Retired

If OWA has been disabled then the only other way to integrate this would be through POP or IMAP, both POP and IMAP support SSL, but these port would need to be opened on the server.

SR

-SR

New Contributor

SR,

OWA is not disabled, just not actively supported (so it may as well be disabled in my case). I tried configuring using the IE addon which tries to extract email addresses from Outlook, but the addin crashes, causing IE to crash, so I can't do that either. That leaves what you suggested, but unless I can set SSL on when entering the email server information, the configuration fails. Do you know if RIM is ever planning on providing that option during the configuration process? I can't seem to find a way to do that now that BIS is involved. I don't remember if I had the option of doing that before I created a Blackberry email account and added my first email connection to Verizon directly.

Retired

Hey dmlangdon I have sent you a PM, have a look at it and get back to me if you would like to try and get this resolved.

SR 

-SR