Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Able to actually delete duplicate address books? (Rather than clearing contents)

Having a bit of trouble with multiple address books on my BB (currently an 8800 with OS ver 4.5.0.81).  From what I can tell, the problem is with BES activation (and restarting the service?) which creates a second address book on the device.  I have two address books each called "Desktop" and one has my data whereas the second is blank/empty.

My question is how to actually delete the second address book, rather than clearing the entries from the second address book, ideally without wiping the device and restoring from a backup.  Any ideas?

I have found several excellent and very clear posts about how to delete entries from address books (using Desktop Manager, or entering the RSET code, etc.), such as:

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=33227

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/158405-4-5-delete-multiple-address-boo...

Not sure if it's possible to actually delete an address book itself, meaning it's no longer there rather than empty, and ideally without wiping the device and restoring from a backup.  I certainly might have missed a post somewhere with how to go about it, and would greatly appreciate a pointer on next-steps.

Thanks in advance for your time and ideas!

Visitor

Re: Able to actually delete duplicate address books? (Rather than clearing contents)

I have this same issue and was wondering if you have been able to figure this out.  I cannot sync my bb address book to my notes address book because it continues to sync the address book with 0 entries and not my other address book that has 125 entries.  My hope is that I can delete the address book with 0 entries so that when I sync it will sync the address book that has 125 entries.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Able to actually delete duplicate address books? (Rather than clearing contents)

Anyone figure this out?
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

You need to delete the service books associated with the Address book

DESKTOP[SYNC]

Which one?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Seriously though, you should wipe and reactivate.

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
New Contributor

I now have this problem also.  It is also affecting my calendars (dual Desktop calendars).  I only have one Desktop[SYNC] and one Desktop[CICAL] entry in my Service Books though.  There were two initially following the re-provisioning of my phone.  I believe this is when the issue was created but now that there is only one, I still have two Desktop address books and two Desktop calendars.

I have tried deleting all entries from both (with a backup and a modified synchronization setting to recover) and then doing a hard reset but that didn't do anything other than waste time.

Did anyone ever get this resolved? Do I need to delete my Desktop Service Book entries and have my corporate IT resend the service books?

Thanks,

-Randy

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

So I had the same issue because I had activated on a new BES and two duplicate address books remained. One that is syncing with my BES and the other (the old address book) which (in Address Book options) won't even allow wireless syncronization, that's how I know it is the old one.

Solution:

So I went into Address Book options, found the old address book, and while my "cursor" had highlighted the old address book typed "RSET", it asked me if I wanted to remove it, I said yes - boom, the duplicate database is now gone!

Hope this helps, let me know if you guys have any questions.

My Device: World Edition
My Carrier: Verizon

Did the RSET trick and it worked! Thanks. I still have the second, empty address book but that doesn't bother me. Out of sight, out of mind.

liamdye wrote:

So I had the same issue because I had activated on a new BES and two duplicate address books remained. One that is syncing with my BES and the other (the old address book) which (in Address Book options) won't even allow wireless syncronization, that's how I know it is the old one.

Solution:

So I went into Address Book options, found the old address book, and while my "cursor" had highlighted the old address book typed "RSET", it asked me if I wanted to remove it, I said yes - boom, the duplicate database is now gone!

Hope this helps, let me know if you guys have any questions.

Highlighted
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: SFR

What address book options? What device are you talking about: blackberry or macbook? Could please give more details on how to access these options? Thank you in advance