Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: At & T

About to be locked out!!! Help!!!

[ Edited ]

I received a new BB Curve 9300 from a business associate. During set up I put in the password and had to stop. Later I came back and it won't accept my password. I have only one try left before it locks down. Tried to find some help on here, but am not getting any answers. Has anyone been able to successfully correct this issue? If so, how?

Thank you,

RS

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: About to be locked out!!! Help!!!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

What I suspect is that you've got a mixture of different characters in your device password, and perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is

• ab123

and you enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > 2 > 3

the actual result will be

• ab1er

You must enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > ALT > 2 > ALT > 3

in order to wind up with ab123. So, in this example, while on the BB keyboard you think you are typing ab123, you are actually typing ab1er.

Sadly, with the one last try left, you have very low chance of success...there are several different things you could have tried, but each would consume one of the remaining tries if it fails. So, with just one try left, you must get it right.

On the other hand, since you say you were doing the initial setup and got interrupted, if you did not get any further, then you can simply allow it to wipe clean and start over again. But, this time, when you create your password, pay close attention...you should get just a moment where each character is shown in the clear before it changes to an *. It will be those exact characters that you must use (as opposed to the particular keys) to unlock your BB.

On the 3rd hand (3 hands!!!)...is this BES? If so, then your BES admin might be able to help...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: At & T

Thank you for your comments, but my password was 1234. As I have been using BB for several years I know how to use the keyboard. With this new one though??? Never had to enter a password on my older ones to use. Thanks anyway. Next!?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Unless this is BES (you still did not say), the user is in complete control over the requirement for a device lock password. So, what I suspect is that, when your business associate transferred this to you, they did not conduct the necessary steps documented in this KB:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

If they had, then there would have been no original (to you) requirement for a device lock password.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................