Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Orange Moldova
Accepted Solution

Acces denied to my carrier's web page when using WiFi

Hi, guyz! I have the following situation: I'm trying to acces my carrier's web site thru WiFi, using the phone's browser, but I get the "Turn on your mobile data" error. But, if I will acces the same page using the Opera browser, everything is OK.

Does someone know if this is a restriction made by the operator or it is something normal at all the carrier's that sell BIS service?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Acces denied to my carrier's web page when using WiFi

Hello,

Exactly what site are you trying to reach? Your carriers BIS website?

If so, then yes some carriers restrict access to their BIS website to be from a computer only, not from the device itself (due I think to the redundancy...the BIS website provides nothing more than the on-device EMail Setup app can do). When you use Opera, you are not being recognized as a mobile device by the website, and so it lets you through. But, when you use the native BB Browser, you are properly identified, and the site blocks you.

In general, it's usually simpler to use the on-device Email Setup app when you wish to work with BIS from the device. From a computer, their BIS website is accessible via their URL, and sometimes you can do more via that interface than directly on the device (rare, but some cases of OWA integration I've experienced not being able to succeed on the device, and needing to use PC/browser/BIS website).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Unfortunately, I am not trying to acces the BIS site, but just the simple site. My operator is Orange Moldova and I just want to acces www.orange.md, that's all. And this is not only with my phone, my friend with another BB can't acces it either... Smiley Sad

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Therefore, based on that, I'd deduce that your carrier has some of the same device checking functions built into that URL, and are denying the request from a BB. If you can change your BB Browser identification (older browsers could, newer are all automatic) to something else (e.g., IE or FireFox), it's possible you might be able to then get through via the native browser.

But, again, from all you've said, all I can deduce is that you carrier has the blocker in place on their website, blocking access from BB Browsers. Why they have that is a question only they can answer. The fact that you've replicated this with another BB only bolsters this conclusion.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Well, I think the same, that my provider is blocking the acces, without knowing why. I'll try to contact them tomorrow. When I'll get an answer, I'll post it here. Smiley Happy Thanks anyway.

Hall of Famer III

You are welcome!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

(sdgardne's advice was complete so I withdraw my response.) 

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor

Do you have a different response? Smiley Happy If yes, please, post it. Smiley Happy))
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I was just elaborating that Opera works on Wi-Fi but the BlackBerry browser relies on BIS so continue with the Opera browser if you don't have BIS on your account.

Cheers. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor

I have a BIS account. Smiley Happy